Chester vs Spennymoor Town: 2022/23

Chester 1 - 2 Spennymoor Town
Saturday 4 February 2023 - 15:00Deva Stadium

Chester’s seventeen match unbeaten run was brought to an end with a defeat at home to Spennymoor Town.

The visitors took the lead as Ryan Wombwell’s cross was deflected beyond Harry Tyrer before Glen Taylor doubled their advantage, converting Corey McKeown’s cross.

Chester had plenty of chances but struggled to beat Dan Langley and when they could they were denied by a defenders on the goalline.

The one chance the Blues managed to convert was a Kurt Willoughby penalty, to give them hope with fifteen minutes to play, but in the end it was the visitors who secured all three points.

Manager Calum McIntyre made two changes as Harrison Burke and Anthony Dudley returned to the starting line-up, with Iwan Murray and Charlie Caton dropping to the bench.

Chester started brightly, forcing the first chance of the game as Burke, Willoughby and Dudley all linked up, with the latter’s effort too close to Langley in the Spennymoor goal.

Moors responded strongly and took the lead as Wombwell’s cross was deflected by a Chester defender into the path of Paul Blackett who turned into the net.

The visitors almost doubled that advantage moments later as full-back John Lufudu fired inches wide.

Moments later and the Blues nearly found an equaliser as Burke met a ball to the back post, but Langley scrambled the ball away on the goal line.

Another huge chance for the hosts came and went as Dudley burst clear of the Spennymoor defence but Langley made himself big and was able to push the ball to safety.

The Blues were piling the pressure on with the next opportunity coming from a Rhys Hughes cross as the on loan midfielder’s ball was inches away of three Chester heads and in the end beat all of them and went just wide of the far post.

Again, Chester came forward and again they were denied by Spenny’s number one. Alex Brown burst down the left side and cut back for Weeks on the penalty spot, he took a touch and was denied by a sprawling Langley.

Down the other end, Corey McKeown’s curling effort was tipped away by Tyrer.

As half time approached the Blues again tried to find an equaliser as both Coates and Willoughby saw efforts blocked before the latter fired another effort off target.

Chester started the second half brightly and were again close to an equaliser as Weeks’ corner picked out Willoughby and his header was destined for the back of the net only to be denied by a Spennymoor defender on the goalline.

The visitors then doubled their advantage just after the hour as McKeown’s cross picked out Taylor, who acrobatically fired beyond Tyrer.

The Blues kept pressing and searching for a way back into the contest and almost found something as sub Darren Stephenson rolled his defender and fired inches past the far post.

Chances kept coming as Edwards headed it back across goal, Willoughby played it to Stephenson, but his effort couldn’t test Langley.

With fifteen minutes to go Chester were given a huge opportunity to get back into the game as Matty Williams’ header was blocked by an arm and the referee pointed to the spot. Willoughby stepped up to score his 22nd goal of the campaign and bring Chester back within one.

Once again the Seals went agonisingly close to finding an equaliser with three minutes to go as Weeks’ excellent cross found Coates at the back post but the Blues’ full-back couldn’t get his effort on target but in the end it wasn’t to be.

CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Williams, Edwards, Burke (Thomas 66), Brown, Roberts, Weeks, Hughes (Stephenson 46), Dudley, Willoughby.

SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Murray, Caton.

SCORERS: Willoughby (pen) 77; Blackett 12, Taylor 65.