Chester vs Macclesfield: The Preview
Chester vs Macclesfield
Monday, August 28th
Swansway Chester Stadium
Kick Off: 15:00
The Blues face a fascinating encounter with Macclesfield this afternoon – looking for a win at the Swansway Chester Stadium.
Jon McCarthy’s side will be buoyed by a superb three points away at Aldershot on Saturday – a brilliant turnaround saw Chester victorious by two goals to one.
James Akintunde, the Blues only fit striker prior to Saturday, was taken off at half time on Saturday due to a hamstring injury.
Macclesfield have the benefit of an extra days rest ahead of this Cheshire Derby – having faced, and defeated, Dover on Friday night. Tyrone Marsh nodded home the winner from former Blue Elliott Durrell’s cross.
Speaking of Durrell, there will be familiar faces on opposite sides this afternoon. Former Chester midfielders of Durrell and Ryan Lloyd are likely to feature – whilst the Blues have the former Macc trio of Andy Halls, John McCombe and Kingsley James in their side. Paul Turnbull has also played for the Silkmen.
Kick off is at 3pm.
Here’s some Chester vs Macclesfield stats ahead of today’s game – courtesy of our Club Historian, Chas Sumner:
1. Since promotion in 2013 there have been four league meetings in the city. The Blues won the first two while Macclesfield have won the last two.
2. Macclesfield won the corresponding fixture at Chester last year 3-2. James Alabi and Kane Richards scored for the Blues
3. In last seasons fixture Andy Halls and John McCombe played for the Silkmen while Elliott Durrell and Ryan Lloyd played for Chester
4. The first ever league meeting between the sides in Chester was at Faulkner Street, in the Combination, in February 1891 and finished 1-1
5. The last Football League meeting between the teams was in April 2009 with Macclesfield winning 2-0
Kick off at the Swansway Chester Stadium today is 3pm. Ticket prices can be found here
Can’t make the game? Follow us on Twitter @ChesterFC for full match updates OR listen to our live and FREE commentary on our dedicated Mixlr page.
Come on you Blues!