Skip to main content


21:44 9th August 2016

Chester 3 Dag & Red 0

Chester FC enjoyed an emphatic victory in their first home game of the Vanarama National League campaign. The Blues enjoyed a dream start, racing to a two goal lead midway through the first half through stunning strikes from Elliott Durrell and Tom Shaw before James Alabi scored from close range for the third to cap off a comprehensive victory.

Jon McCarthy's men made just one change from the opening day with Evan Horwood replacing Jordan Chapell, moving Johnny Hunt to the left side of midfield.

Chester started the game brightly, playing several balls in behind the Daggers defence with both James Alabi and Kane Richards causing the visitors centre halves plenty of problems.

The pressure paid off as the Blues took the lead in the twenth minute through a stunner via Elliott Durrell.

It was another long ball forward towards Alabi that was headed out by the Dagenham defence before Durrell struck from 30 yards, on the volley, leaving Elliot Justham motionless in the visitors goal.

The visitors looked to make an instant reply as Fejire Okenabirhe surged towards goal before firing just wide of Liam Roberts' right post.

Chester continued to control the pace of the game and midway through the first half doubled their advantage with another sublime strike.

Right back Theo Vassell managed to find Tom Shaw on the edge of the Dagenham penalty area, Shaw looked for options before firing a stunning effort across his body and over Justham in the Daggers goal.

Again, Dagenham looked for a quick reply, this time through Jordan Maguire-Drew but his free kick hit the stanchion behind the Chester goal.

Oliver Hawkins thought he'd pulled one back just before half time as he powered a header towards the Chester goal, only for Liam Roberts to get down superbly to push the ball away and ensure the Blues held a two goal lead at the break.

The visitors saw more of the ball to start the second half but it was Chester that looked dangerous, pressing high up the pitch.

Chester came close to adding a third as Richards and Hunt linked up down the left before finding Durrell inside the penalty area, the attacking midfielder switched the ball from his right foot to his left before curling an effort goalwards onto to be denied by an excellent Elliot Justham save.

The Blues didn't have to wait long for the third goal though as it came just before the hour mark.

Johnny Hunt's corner was met by James Alabi, who beat Elliot Justham to the ball inside the six yard area, and headed home.

It was so nearly four for the Blues as Jordan Chapell was first denied well by Justham after running at the defence and firing a super strike to the top corner, before he was unable to keep an effort down at the back post from the resultant corner.

Chester used their final substitution of the evening to give a league debut to versatile youth product Matty Waters, who slotted in on the right side of midfield. 

The home side continued to push for the fourth and as a minimum of four additional minutes was shown on the fourth official's board they almost found it. Kane Richards did superbly to turn his man and ran at the Dagenham defence but his effort was too close to Justham, when he had support in space.

Chester: Roberts, Vassell, Horwood (Mahon 74), Astles, Hudson, Durrell (Chapell 72), Shaw, George (c), Hunt, Alabi (Waters 82), Richards
Subs not used: Worsnop, Akintunde

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Williams, Widdowson, Doe (c), Robson, Robinson, Guttridge (Assombalonga 68), Hawkins (Benson 77), Maguire-Drew, Boucaud (Staunton 68), Okenabirhe
Subs not used: Cousins, Raymond

Goal Scorers: Chester: Durrell (12), Shaw (24), Alabi (59)
Booked: Chester: Horwood, George. Dagenham: Guttridge.
Man of the Match: Tom Shaw
Attendance: 1,841
Referee: Tom Nield
Assistant Referees: Benjamin Speedie, Mark Powell
4th Official: Daniel Hitchell

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?