Skip to main content


17:00 31st October 2015

Forest Green 2 Chester FC 1

Chester couldn't make it three National League wins in a row - narrowly losing to high flying Forest Green at New Lawn.

Ross Hannah gave Steve Burr's side a superb start to the game, before Jon Parkin and Keanu Marsh-Brown strikes secured the hosts the win.

Fresh from scoring in his last match, James Roberts was working to make it successive league goals - but could only shoot straight at Maxted after driving into the box.

Jordan Chapell was next to test the keeper - firing an edge of the area shot straight at the FGR stopper.

Following a good chance for Tom Shaw - the pressure tolled as the Blues took the lead on eleven minutes.

Chapell was the architect; his corner was headed home by Ross Hannah - who beat keeper Maxted to the ball to give Chester a perfect start to the game.

The visitors were giving the fans a Halloween treat in the opening quarter of an hour - nearly making it two when Roberts hit a fierce volley against the side netting.

As expected, the home side responded; and almost did through Elliot Frear, but Jon Worsnop was equal to his effort.

Aaron Racine was next to trouble the Blues box - powering a header wide from a corner just a few yards out.

Nevertheless, the Blues weren't to escape with their lead intact for much longer; going behind in a chaotic two minutes of play.

First, Frear pounced on a loose ball and squared for Parkin to equalise - before Marsh-brown intercepted a misjudged Ryan Higgins pass back to slot home and put FGR in front.

The second half started with the lack of quality seen inside the opening 45 - with limited chances.

Off the bench, Blues loanee Jamie McDonagh tested Maxted from 25 yards; before James Jennings forced Worsnop into a save.

Following these chances, Chester seemed to be showing signs of promise going forward; Shaw forcing the keeper into a save with his legs - before Luke George headed wide from the resulting corner.

But FGR, coming into this game in second place, were a dangerous on the counter attack; with Frear striking the crossbar after racing clear.

The gusty Blues did keep on pressing though, Shaw nodded a glorious cross wide - before McDonagh dragged a shot beyond the post from 18 yards - however the hosts held on for the spoils.

Forest Green: Maxted, Jennings, Clough, Bennett, Wedgbury, Marsh-Brown (Kelly 73), Frear, Racine, Sinclair, Parkin, Carter (Bender 86).
Subs Not Used: Eve, Jones, Baldwin.
Booked: Sinclair, Parkin, Jennings.
Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Kay, Sharps (Heneghan 63), Hunt, Chapell, Shaw, George, Mahon, Roberts (McDonagh 63), Hannah.
Subs Not Used: Forth, Gordon, Woodland.
Booked: Sharps, Worsnop, Kay.
Scorers: Parkin 31, Marsh-Brown 33; Hannah 11.
Attendance: 1,561 (215 away).
Referee: Nigel Lugg.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?