Skip to main content


17:00 10th October 2015

Chester FC 2 Lincoln City 3

Chester were involved in their third five goal thriller in the space of seven days - but were once again on the wrong side of the scoreline.

Matt Rhead gave the Imps a lead - before Jordan Chapell levelled. Kegan Everington restored the lead, then Alan Power extended it; and Ross Hannah's goal wasn't enough for Steve Burr's men.

The Blues were far from their best in the opening 45 – nevertheless it was an action packed half.

The visitors moved the ball around brilliantly in the opening stages – and nearly had a goal to show for it when Terry Hawkridge’s cross was knocked down by Jack Muldoon; but Jon Worsnop was equal to Power’s effort.

Nevertheless, Worsnop was helpless to stop Lincoln’s opener on four minutes.

A hopeful right sided cross from Lee Beevers found Matt Rhead – who got a jump ahead of Ian Sharps and nodded home.

The Blues keeper was busy in the opening half – next up making a superb one-handed stop to deny Bradley Wood’s long range effort.

Chester needed to try and work their way back into the game following a dismal opening 20 minutes; John Rooney the first to hit the target, but Paul Farman caught his 25 yard free kick with relative ease.

Steve Burr’s side did claw themselves level moments later though, Ross Hannah released Johnny Hunt down the left – and his low cutback was met at the back post by Chapell who tapped in his second goal in a week.

Confidence seemed to be growing at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium; but Lincoln – scuppering those plans - were back in front moments later.

A long throw was only half cleared – allowing substitute Kegan Everington to squirm a shot under the body of Worsnop.

Chester should have been level before the break however – another good delivery by Hunt evaded Hannah and Craig Hobson before finding Chapell who lashed his shot over the bar from a tight angle.

It seemed to be a miss that would prove costly – as nine minutes after the break the Imps extended their lead.

Another right sided cross from Beevers was met by Captain Alan Power – and he nodded home from close range.

The Blues were now facing a mountain to climb – but continued to attack; Hannah had a large handball appeal turned down from his hooked effort before a Rooney lob was headed off the line by Chris Bush.

The deficit was halved though on 67 minutes, Ross Hannah was slotted in behind by Chapell and cut inside onto his left foot before placing the ball in off the inside of the post.

The Blues attacker was in full flow now – Lincoln’s defence not dealing with a Higgins cross and Hannah struck the loose ball onto the crossbar; moments before Rooney lashed a long range shot inches wide of the post.

Chester were starting to hit their very best – Hannah heading over from close range seconds later from a Rooney corner.

However, Lincoln almost killed the game off through sub Liam Hearn but Worsnop stopped his close range effort.

John Rooney would then release another dangerous delivery, but sub George Thomson flicked his header just the wrong side of the post – the rally was to be too little, too late for the Blues.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Higgins, Sharps, Kay, Hunt, Heneghan (Richards 59), Shaw, Rooney, Chapell, Hannah, Hobson (Thomson 59).
Subs Not Used: Forth, Peers, Hughes.
Booked: Heneghan, Higgins.
Lincoln: Farman, Wood, Stanley (Everington 11), Waterfall, Bush, Muldoon (Simmons 90), Power, Beevers, Hawkridge, Howe, Rhead (Hearn 80).
Subs Not Used: Grant, Tempest.
Booked: Farman, Bush.
Scorers: Chapell 26, Hannah 67; Rhead 4, Everington 29, Power 54.
Attendance: 2,224.
Referee: Tom Nield.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?