Skip to main content


17:00 19th September 2015

Chester FC 1 Eastleigh 0

Birthday Boy Ben Heneghan proved to be the matchwinner - as the Blues made it a first win since August Bank Holiday.

The defender nodded his first of the season on 11 minutes - and Chester impressed the home fans - notching up a positive victory.

The Blues started this game - in glistening sunshine - positively; with Craig Hobson firing wide following a good through ball by John Rooney.

Johnny Hunt set up a glorious chance for Jordan Chapell moments later - the latter just failing to connect with a superb cross by the full back.

Attacking waves continued from the home side - this time down the right - as Ryan Higgins and Hobson combined to tee up Chapell; but Noice saved comfortably.

The pressure was eventually to pay dividends - as birthday boy Ben Heneghan gave the Blues the lead.

John Rooney's outswinging free kick was met by the big central defender - his first goal of the season.

However, the visitors were slowly working their way back into the game; having a goal disallowed before Constable missed a glorious chance unmarked from a Jai Reason free kick.

Constable was making space yet again - missing a glorious free header inside the box on 25 minutes; before driving an overhead kick wide ten minutes later.

Nevertheless, the Blues were still moving the ball around ruthlessly up front - Rooney bending a shot just wide after great individual skill.

The counter attack for Chester was even working well into the second half - Chapell blasting over after a good ball by Thomson.

Minutes later, Thomson had a chance of his own; hooking a volley goalwards that forced Noice into a clever one handed save.

It seemed to be one way traffic creeping up to the hour mark - an incredible juggernaught-like run from Ryan Higgins set up Hannah; who fired just over.

The Spitfires - sitting in sixth prior to this game - pushed for an equaliser; a dangerous Lee Cook corner forcing Heneghan to scramble the ball off the line.

Richard Hill made all three of his subs - seeing the visitors having four strikers on the pitch at one time - as Odubade fired over from Constable's knock down.

The Blues may have lived to regret some of the chances they were squandering on the counter; Hobson heading straight at the keeper from a corner and then wide from a Chapell cross.

Hannah was causing problems on the shoulder of the defence, latching onto a Rooney through ball, before blasting a shot wide whilst through on goal.

The attacking prowess of the Eastleigh was desperately pressing on for an equaliser - Lafayette nodding the ball just over the crossbar from a corner with a few minutes remaining.

Jon Worsnop made an incredible diving stop to deny Lee Cook's 20-yard free kick in added time; as Steve Burr's side clung on for three points.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Sharps, Hunt, Shaw, Rooney, Thomson (Mahon 67), Chapell, Hannah, Hobson (Hughes 88).
Subs Not Used: Forth, Kay, Richards.
Booked: Shaw, Thomson.
Eastleigh: Noice, Partington, Green, Evans (Drury 57), Turley (Midson 71), Payne (Odubade 62), Constable, Reason, Lafayette, Cook, Harding.
Subs Not Used: Lee, Todd.
Booked: Green.
Scorers: Heneghan 11.
Referee: Mr J Brooks.
Attendance: 1,922.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?