Skip to main content


17:00 5th September 2015

Chester 1 Forest Green 2

Chester were marginally defeated by runaway league leaders Forest Green - courtesy of a late goal by visiting sub Aaron O'Connor.

Luke George had originally cancelled out Elliott Frear's opener - before O'Connor struck on 78 minutes.

Jon Worsnop was called into action early on - pushing away Keanu Marsh-Brown's long range drive.

Rovers were into their stride quickly - and earned a penalty on 17 minutes when Worsnop brought down Kurtis Guthrie inside the area as the forward nipped the ball passed him.

Nevertheless, the goalkeeper made amends brilliantly - stopping Jon Parkin's penalty to keep the game goalless.

The Blues struggled to maintain possession, but were unlucky on the half hour mark wen Jonny Maxted tipped Ryan Higgins' flick header past the post from a John Rooney set piece.

Chester were slowly but surely creeping into this encounter - with Craig Mahon blasting a shot wide of the mark; the ball just didn't seem to sit up for him.

But the visitors hit the hosts with a sucker punch on 40 minutes - Elliott Frear slotting the ball home from a Parkin flick on to give the table toppers a half time advantage.

The Blues did come out with more attacking impetus in the second half, Tom Shaw hitting a fierce shot which forced Maxted into a fingertip save.

That cranking up of the forward pressure was to pay dividends just past the hour mark as bearded midfielder Luke George bulleted home a back post header from Rooney's deadly set piece free kick.

Steve Burr's side were seriously testing the table toppers - Rooney at the forefront again by blasting a free kick just over the crossbar.

However, Forest Green were back in front on 78 minutes.

With a simple flick of the switch, Aaron O'Connor was released by Marsh-Brown - he was too quick for the defence - and netted his goal with a clever chip over Worsnop.

Substitute George Thomson then had a glorious chance to level the scores - but he headed over Johnny Hunt's cross from point blank range.

Chester: Worsnop, Tonge, Heneghan, Sharps, Hunt, George (Thomson 83), Shaw, Rooney, Higgins, Mahon (Chapell 83), O'Hanlon (Peers 76).
Subs Not Used: Forth, Kay.
Booked: Tonge.
Forest Green: Maxted, Pipe, Kelly, Bennett, Racine, Marsh-Brown (Clough 85), Sinclair, Wedgbury, Frear (Sam-Yorke 82), Parkin (O'Connor 74), Guthrie.
Subs Not Used: Jones, Kamdjo.
Booked: Marsh-Brown, Racine, Guthrie, Pipe.
Scorers: George 61; Frear 40, O'Connor 78.
Attendance: 2,163.
Referee: Martin Coy.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?