Skip to main content


17:00 31st August 2015

Chester 1 Guiseley 1

Adam Boyes' late strike saw the Blues pegged back to just a point on Bank Holiday Monday at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium.

The Lions sub cancelled out John Rooney's opener from the spot - following a handball in the second half.

Following on from Saturday's matchwinner, Craig Hobson had the first real attempt of the game - but it was comfortable for Steve Drench.

Ten minutes into the encounter, the visiting side had an even better chance - but Jon Worsnop smothered Wayne Brooksby's effort well when the Lions man got in behind the defence.

John Rooney was the next to try and chase the opening goal - Drench claiming his ambitious 30 yard free kick with relative ease.

Nicky Boshell nearly gave the away side a half time advantage out of nothing, his deflected shot inside the area lobbed just onto the roof of the net with Worsnop stranded.

Ryan Higgins would be another Chester player to try his luck from range, but it was another tame effort to end a rather tame half of football.

Guiseley started the second half brightly, Worsnop tipping over Atkinson's header before Hatfield poked wide from the resulting corner.

However, just past the hour mark in the game, a handball earned John Rooney the chance to give Chester the lead from the penalty spot - and he duly converted.

The visiting Lions side thought they were level with a quarter of an hour left when Rob Atkinson tapped home the rebound from Adam Boyes' shot - but he was flagged offside.

Substitute Tom Shaw almost wrapped up the game inside the last ten minutes, whisking a long range effort inches over the crossbar.

Nevertheless, the visiting side got themselves level on 84 minutes when a cross from the right wing caused havoc - allowing Boyes to tap home from close range.

Craig Mahon went close from range, driving a low shot inches wide of the post with a few minutes remaining.

Boyes and Craddock forced Worsnop into good, low saves prior to added time - before Tom Peers headed over the bar for Steve Burr's side.

John Rooney would fire wide deep into stoppage time - as Chester were just unable to produce yet another 'late show'.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Kay, Sharps, Hunt, Heneghan, Rooney, Thomson (Peers 76), Chapell (Shaw 76), Richards, Hobson (Mahon 23).
Subs Not Used: Forth, Tonge.
Booked: Hobson, Richards, Rooney.
Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Parker, Lowe, Lawlor, Brooksby, Hatfield, Dickinson (Craddock 61), N Boshell (Boyes 68), Thompson (D Boshell 68), R Atkinson.
Subs Not Used: D Atkinson, Lockwood.
Booked: Hatfield, Toulson, Dickinson.
Scorers: Rooney (p) 65; Boyes 84.
Attendance: 2,304
Referee: Joseph Johnson (Liverpool)


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?