Skip to main content


21:45 11th August 2015

FC Halifax Town 0-1 Chester FC

Steve Burr's men made it two wins out of two in the National League with a 1-0 against FC Halifax at the Shay. Chapell scored the only goal as Chester kept another clean sheet.

The home side had an excellent chance within a matter of minutes, following an early spell of possession for the Blues. Wayne Barratt awarded a free kick on the left hand side after Tuton was fouled by Higgins. MacDonald whipped in the free kick who found Burrow in space, but the Shaymen striker headed inches over Worsnop's crossbar.

Chester's first chance of the game came within the opening fifteen minutes as Ben Heneghan's bullet header was directed over the cross bar. From a quick corner routine, Rooney sent a looping ball into the six yard box and the Blues defender couldn't get a good enough connection on the ball to send it past Ex-Chester keeper Glennon.

Moments later and the Blues has another fantastic opportunity to claim the foothold in the game. Heneghan retained possession within the Halifax half before distributing the ball across to Mahon who cut inside, sending a curling shot two yards wide of Glennon's far post.

Despite several spells of possession from the home team, it was the 'Yellows' who seemed to be more confident in front of goal. Now it was the turn of Blues striker Ross Hannah to test Glennon, as Rooney fed the ball through to Hannah, forcing the Shaymen keeper to make a acrobatic save from a shot from the edge of the area.

And it was the Blues who took advantage of their efforts and took the lead on the 34th minute. Mahon nutmegged James in the centre of the pitch before sending the ball through to Chapell, who sweetly struck the ball past Glennon from 20 yards out. That was his first competitive goal in a Blues shirt, after scoring two at Stalybridge in pre-season.

The first opportunity of the second half, again, came from the Blues as Tom Shaw tested Glennon from the edge of the 18-yard box. Mahon collected the ball in midfield before laying the ball off to the Blues midfielder whose effort was destined for the top right hand corner, before Glennon stretched well to palm the ball away.

Shaymen fans within the ground thought their side had levelled the game, twenty minutes into the second half. Hattersley connected with a cross by Tuton and poked the ball past Worsnop from close range, but the linesman on the near side rose his flag for offside.

Blues Live Man of the match Jordan Chapell had the last effort with only minutes to go in the second half, forcing Glennon into action again for the Shaymen. From a quick corner routine, the ball fell to the feet of the Chester winger whose effort was heading for the far corner, before Glennon got his fingertips to it.

Halifax: Glennon, Bolton, McManus, James, Hutchison, Bencherif (c), Tuton, Whitehouse, Burrow (Bishop 84), MacDonald (Hattersley 46), Hibbs. 
Subs not used: Porter, Roberts, Hughes.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Sharps (c), Hunt, Shaw, George, Rooney, Chapell (Thomson 89), Mahon (Kay 84), Hannah (Peers 90+3).
Subs not used: Forth, Tonge.

Goal: Chapell (34)

Attendance: 1,732 (495 from Chester)


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?