Skip to main content


22:02 27th January 2015
By  Steven Peach

Chester FC 4-0 Lincoln City

STEVE BURR saw his side record a 4-0 victory on Tuesday night as the Blues overpowered Lincoln City at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

Chester took the lead just five minutes into the game after John Rooney shot from inside the area which took a slight deflection to beat Paul Farman.

The Blues doubled their lead following a smart move from Sean McConville which beat the Imps’ defence. The attacker played himself through on goal and comfortably slotted the ball home.

Lincoln were down to 10 men on the 18 minute mark after Todd Jordan, who was the last man, brought down Oliver McBurnie.

Chester continued to dominate the game and made it three after Ryan Higgins ran across field from the right wing, before striking a terrific left footed drive into the top corner of the net.

McConville came close to grabbing a second just before half-time after Matty Hughes played him through one-on-one with the keeper, but Sean Newton got back well for the Imps to clear the ball off the line.

Moments before the break, Rooney attempted a clever flicked shot following a good piece of skill in the visitor’s area, but Farman got up well to collect the ball.

As the second half was under way, it was Lincoln who came close to grabbing a goal after Higgins cleared a headed effort off the line.

Steve Burr’s side got themselves back into the game and almost scored a fourth after McConville stuck a low shot from close range which tested the gloves of the Lincoln stopper.

Shortly after the Imps were down to nine men after Alan Power saw a straight red card for a bad foul on Craig Mahon.

Following a relentless attack, the Blues succeeded and scored a fourth goal. Brad Abbott struck a low shot from distance which beat Farman to go sailing into the bottom corner.

Substitute George Thomson created himself a chance after Higgins played a delightful ball down the right hand flank. The former Kings Lynn attacker lobbed the keeper from the edge of the area, but his effort just went over the bar.
Despite the result the Blues continued to press to add to their tally. Rooney struck a good shot from 30-yards which tested the gloves of Farman, resulting in the Imps’ stopper palming the ball away.

After a strong performance from the Blues, the result moves Steve Burr’s side up to 13th in the league.


Chester FC: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Kay ©, Roberts (Charnock), Mahon (Richards), Rooney, Abbott, Hughes, McConville (Thomson), McBurnie
Subs: Viscosi, Hobson.

Lincoln City: Farman, Newton, Jordan, Power, Burrow, Tomlinson, Mendy, Robinson (Everington), Caprice, Marshall (Sam-Yorke), Brown
Subs: Waite, Barr-Rostron, Grant

Referee: Simon Bennett
Assistants: Kelvin Sarsfield and John Walton
Fourth Official: Martin Woods
Attendance: 1,569

By Steven Peach


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?