Skip to main content


23:01 22nd December 2014
By  Steve Peach

Blues knocked out of the FA Trophy

Steve Burr witnessed his side get knocked out of the FA Trophy on Monday evening as their First Round Replay ended 1-1, forcing extra time and penalties.

Despite the defeat, it was Chester who took the lead first. Craig Mahon played a short corner to John Rooney, who in-turn picked out Ben Heneghan at the far post. The defender positioned himself well and was in the right place to simply tap the ball over the line.

AFC Telford grabbed an equiliser after the Blues were left open at the back, allowing Sam Smith to be left open in space to simply slot his effort past Jon Worsnop.

The Blues started the livelier of the two sides and had a good chance early on. Ibou Touray won a corner following a good move which led to Neill Byrne putting the ball out of touch for the Bucks. As the ball was played in it fell to Kingsley James who attempted a curling shot from 20-yards, but it had too much height and went sailing over the bar.

Craig Mahon was then in the heart of the attack for the Blues and played a good ball into the Telford area. His cross picked out Heneghan who rose well and sent a powerful header goalwards, but it went narrowly wide of the post.

Chester continued to turn the screw as the game progressed and had another chance through Craig Hobson. The striker picked up the ball in the area, before turning well to fire a low shot towards the Bucks goal, but Jonathan Hedge got down well to save.

The Blues continued to press and had another chance to grab a goal after Heneghan headed the ball towards the visitor’s goal, before Michael Kay accidently blocked the ball on the line.

As the 90 minutes played out both teams were level, which resulted in a further 30 minutes of extra time being played.

With little chances for either side, Sean Cooke had a good opportunity to score after he received the ball on the edge of the area and shot first time, but he guided his effort wide.

Telford continued to dominate in the extra period and had a glorious chance to seal the win after Tony Gray was picked out in the area and played the ball across the box, leaving the Blues’ goal gaping.

After Extra Time, the match was still level at 1-1, meaning penalties would decide the outcome of the game.

Sadly for the Blues, it was Telford who came away victors, winning the shootout 4-3.



Chester FC: Worsnop, Heneghan, Kay, Brown ©, Charnock, Touray, Rooney, James, McConville, Mahon, Hobson.

Subs: Harrison, Menagh, Winn, Greenop, Peers


AFC Telford United: Hedge, Brownhill, Higgins, Byrne, Grogan, Deacey, Cooke, Barnett ©, Owens, Smith, Farrell.

Subs: Hall, Poku, Todd, Gray


Referee: Simon Bennett

Assistants: Steven Mycock and Dean Watson.

Fourth Official: Peter Gibbons

Attendance: 898


By Steve Peach


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?