Skip to main content


18:23 13th December 2014

New Bucks Head Stadium

AFC Telford United 1 Chester FC 1

Chester FC's FA Trophy journey began with a 1-1 draw at the New Bucks Head as AFC Telford United prevented the Blues winning thanks to a first half equalizer.

Kingsley James put Chester in front with a penalty on 12 minutes with Jordan Deacey levelling matters up on 26 minutes.

Steve Burr decided on just the one change from the FA Cup draw at Barnsley, with Craig Hobson being rested for Tuesday night's replay and Rhys Oates - who cannot play in the replay - coming back into the starting eleven.

Chester almost got off to a dream start when Sean McConville's curled effort struck the crossbar and away to safety, but just five minutes later Craig Mahon was upended in the area by Mike Grogan and Kingsley James fired home from the penalty kick.

It could have been even better for Chester on the 20 minute mark, when Sean McConville's effort rolled just wide of the post, and that signalled Telford's return to the game.

A well worked move by the Bucks resulted in Jordan Deacey firing past Jon Worsnop - complete with face mask - to make it 1-1 and give the hosts fresh impetus.

The second half started with the visitors not being able to get back into gear and Charlie Barnett saw his effort cleared off the Chester line by Gareth Roberts just ten minutes after the restart.

Tom Peers then came on for Michael Kay, which then saw Ben Heneghan return to the right side of defence and Matty Brown also made way for Ibou Touray as Steve Burr cast one eye towards the FA Cup replay on Tuesday night.

Chester could and possibly should have won the game through chances for John Rooney, Rhys Oates and Tom Peers, but it wasn't to be and a replay will now take place at the Swansway Chester Stadium on Tuesday 23rd December.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Kay (Peers 57) , Brown (Touray 65), Charnock, G Roberts, Heneghan, James, Rooney, Mahon, McConville (Menagh 82), Oates.
Subs: C Roberts, Hobson.

Goal: James 12 (pen).

Booked: Kay, Charnock.

AFC Telford United: Hall, Higgins, Grogan, McDonald (Smith 59), Brownill, Hancock, Poku, Platt (Barnett 14), Todd, Deacey, Farrell.
Subs: Hedge, Gray, Cooke.

Goal: Deacey 26.

Booked: Poku.

Referee: Jason Whiteley (Leeds)

Attendance: 776.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?