Skip to main content


18:14 8th November 2014


Chester caused one of the biggest FA Cup upsets of the Round as the Blues knocked League 2 high fliers Southend United out of the FA Cup.

Goals from Ben Heneghan and Craig Mahon ensured the 'Magic of the FA Cup' was in full flow at Roots Hall. Barry Corr had equalised from the spot for the hosts after a John Rooney foul.

Michael Kay and Matty Hughes were both suspended for the Blues, with Peter Winn coming into the side to replace the latter. Youth graduate Ben Greenop was named on the seven man bench.

Winn made his impact almost instantly. After Mahon was fouled, the former Macc winger swung in an excellent free kick which was nodded home from close range by Ben Heneghan, to give Steve Burr's side the dream start in Essex after just five minutes.

As expected, Southend then piled the pressure on with Barry Corr going close on a couple of occasions. Myles Weston then forced Jon Worsnop into action, before at the other end the impressive Craig Hobson was denied by the Seasiders keeper, Daniel Bentley.

But, just after the half hour mark, the League 2 favourites drew level. John White was hauled down by Rooney inside the box, and Corr tucked away the penalty to restore parity.

Nevertheless, it was Chester who finished the stronger in the first half, and almost retook the lead moments prior to the break. Rooney, looking to make amends for conceding the penalty, swung in a dangerous cross which evaded everyone except Gary Deegan, who poked the ball off the line.

Then it was time for Mahon to take center stage. He received the ball from Heneghan and proceeded to cut inside and fire a shot beyond Bentley to give Steve Burr's side the lead for the second time in the match.

Once again, Chester faced another wave of Southend pressure. David Worrall rifled a shot just wide and then was denied by Worsnop minutes later with a diving header.

However, some heroic defending restricted the chances the Shrimpers could create, although there was enough time for sub Jack Payne to curl a shot agonisingly wide late on.

But Chester did hang on, with the win meaning that Steve Burr's FA Cup exploits continue, and the Blues will be in the hat for the Second Round Draw on Monday.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Heneghan, Brown, Charnock, G Roberts, Rooney, James, Mahon (Menagh 86), McConville, Winn (Touray 66), Hobson.

Subs Not Used: C Roberts, Greenop, Riley, Harrison, Disney.

Goals: Corr (pen) 31; Heneghan 5, Mahon 51.

Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire)

Attendance: 4,037.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?