Skip to main content


18:56 25th October 2014

Sean McConville celebrates goal at Stockport

Stockport County 2 Chester FC 4

Chester FC made it through to the First Round Proper of the FA Cup with a thrilling 4-2 win over Stockport County at Edgeley Park.

The Blues, fresh from their triumph over Alfreton last Saturday continued their great form with a win that sees the Blues through to the First Round for the first time since the club reformed back in 2010.

Steve Burr's side raced into a two goal lead at the break courtesy of goals from Sean McConville and Matty Hughes, before the hosts battled back level thanks to strikes from Kristian Dennis and Scott Spencer. But Chester asserted their higher league status and secured an excellent win when McConville added another to his personal tally and Ben Henenghan scored a fierce header to seal the result. Dennis and Michael Kay were both sent off late on after being involved in an altercation that involved former Hatter McConville.

McConville, who was booed throughout the game by the home faithful, gave Chester the lead when he slotted home after being played in behind the defence following excellent work by Craig Mahon.

The lead was doubled just minutes later when on-loan Matty Hughes stormed into the box and finished, to cap an excellent individual goal.

But a slip in concentration allowed the Conference North side back into the game moments after the break. Half time sub Nathan Woolfe played a simple pass through the defence which allowed Dennis to tuck home beyond a helpless Jon Worsnop.

Then, remarkably, the hosts completed the comeback a matter of seconds later when former Hyde forward Scott Spencer smashed a half volley beyond the Chester keeper.

The momentum was hugely in Stockport's favour, but they could not capitalise and Mahon made them pay when he set up McConville for a tap in after the tricky Irishman turned Jordan Fagbola inside-out on the wing.

Seven minutes later, the win was sealed when John Rooney's near post corner was met excellently by defender Heneghan who steered a powerful header into the net.

Both sides were then reduced to ten men. Dennis received his marching orders when he was adjudged to have taken McConville down off the ball, and - in the melee that ensued - Kay's actions were also deemed aggressive enough to warrant a red card.

But the Blues hung on for a massive win, and Steve Burr's side will be ball number 59 in the First Round Draw on Monday night.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Heneghan, Kay, Charnock, G Roberts, Mahon, Rooney, James, McConville (Brown 86), Hughes (Menagh 80), Hobson.

Subs Not Used: C Roberts, Winn, Touray, Harrison, Hall.

Booked: McConville, Charnock.

Sent off: Kay.

Goals: Dennis 47, Spencer 49; McConville 20 & 64, Hughes 29, Heneghan 71.

Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Attendance: 4,621.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?