Skip to main content


22:30 22nd September 2014

Ben Heneghan celebrates derby winner

Chester 2 Wrexham 1

Chester came from a goal down to secure the most dramatic of derby day victories. Blaine Hudson gave Wrexham the lead before the visitors spurned several chances that could have had them out of sight before Chester clawed themselves back into the game in the second half and goals from Craig Hobson and a 94th minute volley from Ben Heneghan saw Chester take the spoils.

Steve Burr named an unchanged side for the derby fixture against fierce rivals Wrexham, following on from the Blues 2-0 victory against Southport last week. Injury worry Craig Hobson recovered in time to be passed fit and start despite picking up a knock in that game.

Chester got off to the worst possible start, with the visitors fired up and they took the lead after two minutes, Chester switching off to a free kick on the half way line, Wes York found Louis Moult from the cross and the former Nuneaton striker forced Jon Worsnop into a great save only for Blaine Hudson to hammer home from close range.

The visitors looked well on top and could have doubled their lead in the seventh minute, Wes York, who started the game brightly, cut inside Ben Heneghan at right back and fired a curling effort against the crossbar to give Chester a huge let off.

York and Moult continued to link up well together and caused Chester all sorts of problems, the latter with a backheel to the prior who fired just wide from 30 yards as Chester struggled to retain the ball.

The Blues were starting to enjoy a bit more possession, and even though Wrexham did well to force them backwards most of the time Craig Mahon managed to engineer himself some space before firing wide from 30 yards.

Connor Jennings should have put the visitors 2-0 up just before the half hour, Chester's defence once again was found wanting and when the ball was pulled back to Jennings, unmarked six yards out at the back post, he had the goal gaping but put his effort wide of Jon Worsnop's post when it looked easier to score.

Wrexham looked comfortable sitting back as the half went on and allowing Chester to play a bit more but the Blues always struggled for the final ball in the first half and were fortunate to go into the break just one down.

A late challenge from John Rooney brought the Chester man a booking but also helped ramp up the crowd again and bring them into the game once more.

The Blues talisman nearly got the home side level on the night with a curling free kick that cannoned off the post, with Dan Bachmann beaten to it.

Elliot Durrell spurned another chance for the visitors as he broke into the area and had three Wrexham players waiting but opted to shoot straight at Jon Worsnop who turned it away for a corner.

Chester thought they had equalised on the hour mark as John Rooney fired low, forcing Dan Bachmann into a save, Touray fired in a rebound that Bachmann again saved before Craig Hobson turned the ball in with a lovely backheel before seeing the linesman's flag raised.

The visitors again went close to doubling their lead as Connor Jennings was again in the right place but again found his finish wanting as he flicked a free header wide of the post.

Chester were far brighter in the second half and in the 73rd minute got their reward. Ben Heneghan's throw was flicked on beautifully by Wayne Riley to John Rooney who slipped as he shot, right into Craig Hobson's path who reacted instinctively to flick the ball past Dan Bachmann with his thigh.

Chester pushed on, in search of a winner and Ibou Touray stung the hands of Dan Bachmann in the Wrexham goal, but he was able to gather at the second attempt with Iwelumo bearing down on goal.

In the final minute of the game Chester secured the victory as Kingsley James fired a long cross into the penalty area where Ben Heneghan popped up to fire a volley past Dan Bachmann and sent the ground into raptures.

Chester: Worsnop, Heneghan, Kay, Charnock (c), Roberts, James, Rooney, Mahon (Riley 73), McConville, Hall (Touray 59), Hobson (Iwelumo 83)
Subs: Roberts, Harrison

Wrexham: Bachmann, Ashton (c), Smith, Hudson, Clarke, Durrell (Holman 81), Moult, Evans, York (Bailey-Jones 76), White, Jennings
Subs: Bishop, Tomassen

Goal Scorers: Chester: Hobson (73), Heneghan (94). Wrexham: Hudson (2)
Booked: Chester: Charnock, Rooney. Wrexham: White, Hudson.
Man of the Match: Chester: James. Wrexham: York.
Attendance: 3,183

Referee: Ross Joyce
Assistant Referees: Mark Cunliffe, Luke Watson
4th Official: Jonathan Hunt

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?