Skip to main content


19:00 3rd April 2015

The Memorial Stadium

Bristol Rovers 5-1 Chester FC

Bristol Rovers moved to the top of the Vanarama Conference table after a 5-1 win over the Blues at the Memorial Stadium.

Oliver McBurnie's second half header looked to inspire the Blues to a come back but first half goals from Matty Taylor, Lee Mansell and Andy Monkhouse put the Gas 3-0 up at half time before Andy Monkhouse and substitute Ellis Harrison finished off the scoring in the final 10 minutes.

Rovers came out of the blocks the fastest and had an early opportunity in the opening seconds as Parkes pumped a long ball forward for Matty Taylor, flicking the ball backwards into the path of Jermaine Easter, but the Rovers striker fired the ball over Worsnop's crossbar on the volley.

Burr made three changes to the side that lost at home to Woking last Saturday as Oliver McBurnie returned to the starting 11 after returning from international duty with Scotland. Gareth Roberts also made way for the suspended Kieran Charnock with Michael Kay returning to the starting line-up.

In an action packed opening 15 minutes, the away side probably should have taken the lead. Following a slip and a misskick from Rovers keeper Will Puddy, Sean McConville found himself through on an open goal but the midfielder made the angle difficult for himself and saw his shot trickle across the goal line before Lee Brown cleared the ball to safety.

Soon after and Rovers took the lead through a fantastically placed header from Matty Taylor. From the clearance, John Rooney picked up the ball before it bounced of the referee. Rover's Leicester loanee beat his man and ran down the right wing to deliver an inch perfect cross for Taylor to head home past Worsnop.

Rovers doubled their lead moments after as a poor defensive clearance from Chester fell to the feet of Lee Mansell and the ex-Torquay player took his chance superbly, looping the ball over Worsnop from outside the area.

The home fans found themselves celebrating yet again when in the 33rd minute, Andy Monkhouse put the home side three goals to the good. Some inspiring play between Harrison and Taylor presented the Welshman with a good chance. Harrison forced a good save from Worsnop only to have Monkhouse on hand to fire in the rebound.

Steve Burr's men came out in the second half and looked a completely different side. An inch perfect delivery from Mahon on the left hand side was met by the head of Scotland Under 19 international Oliver McBurnie, who put the ball past Will Puddy.

Moments later and the Blues had a penalty shout as Mahon tried to get the ball off Brown, with the Rover's defender pushing him to the ground. But the referee was having none of it and play continued.

The home side continued to look more on top of the game in the final 10 minutes of the game and Andy Monkhouse bagged his second of the game. Substitute Ellis Harrison set up Monkhouse on the edge of the area and fired the ball under Worsnop, with weather conditions making the game difficult for the Chester keeper.

Rovers finished the game off as substitute Ellis Harrison stormed through the middle of the park, with his pace beating Michael Kay and Ben Heneghan in the process, before hammering home into the top right hand corner.

Bristol Rovers: Puddy, Leadbitter, Lockyer, Parkes, Brown, Dawson (McChrystal, 75), Mansell (C), Lines, Monkhouse, Taylor (Blissett, 86), Easter (Harrison , 26).

Substitutes: Mildenhall, Balanta.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Kay (C), Heneghan, Roberts, Hughes (Hobson, 81), James, Rooney (Peers, 45), McConville (Abbot, 45), Mahon, McBurnie.

Substitutes: Viscosi, Brown

Attendance: 8,455 (348 from Chester)


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?