Skip to main content


17:04 28th March 2015

Chester 2 Woking 3

Ten man Chester slipped to a late defeat at home to Woking on a windy afternoon at the Swansway.

The Blues had twice come from behind – Craig Mahon and Ben Heneghan cancelling out a Scott Rendell brace, with Kieran Charnock sent off for a second bookable offence with the score at 1-1.

However, Jack Payne snatched all the spoils with five minutes remaining, blasting home an incredible 25 yard volley.

The windy conditions looked to be having an adverse effect on both sides, with Yemi Odubade having the first chance – slicing his shot well over.

Chester also struggled to create much in the opening quarter of an hour, with Matty Hughes looping a shot just over after Sean McConville had stabbed a pass forward.

Moments later, Scott Rendell tapped in from close range for the Cards – but he was adjudged to be offside.

Kieran Murtagh had a long range shot that was comfortably pouched by Jon Worsnop – as the game continued at a slow pace.

Nevertheless, Rendell was not to be denied by the flag on 28 minutes – picking up on a deflected cross and poking home from close range.

But Chester were level a few minutes before the break.

Kingsley James and Hughes combined to tee up McConville, and Craig Mahon volleyed home the rebound after Michael Crowe had spilled the original shot.

The second half also took time to spring to life, as Odubade was denied by a tremendous last ditch block by Heneghan coming up to the hour mark in the match.

Then, after Kieran Charnock missed a through ball, he fouled Odubade who was storming through on goal – picking up his second yellow card and leaving the Blues down to ten men.

The resulting free kick from Josh Payne was brilliantly clawed away by Worsnop – as the hosts found themselves under the cosh.

However, the ever-resilient Blues created chances of their own – as Mahon’s deflected shot was saved by Crowe.

Yet the Cards did make the man advantage count when a right flank corner was headed goalbound by Joey Jones, and Rendell bundled it home for his second of the game.

Brian Saah then tested Worsnop with a header from yet another right sided corner.

But Chester showed their archetypal spirit seen throughout the season, as they did get themselves level yet again with just over ten minutes remaining, a superb corner from Mahon was nodded home by the ever excellent Ben Heneghan.

Then, with a matter of minutes remaining, Woking scored the all-important winning goal – and it was remarkable.

A deflected shot dropped to Payne who smashed a volley from 25 yards straight into the top corner – stunning the home faithful.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins (Kay 76), Heneghan, Brown, Charnock, Mahon, Rooney, Abbott (Hobson 59), James, McConville, Hughes (Roberts 63).

Subs Not Used: Viscosi, Peers.

Booked: Charnock

Sent Off: Charnock

Woking: Crowe, Ricketts, Arthur, Jones, Saah, Goddard (Banya 67), Payne, Murtagh, Betsy, Rendell, Odubade (Sole 74).

Subs Not Used: Little, Nutter, Oyeleke.

Scorers: Mahon 43, Heneghan 79; Rendell 28 & 69, Payne 85.

Attendance: 1,899.

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?