Skip to main content


21:39 11th November 2014

Moss Rose

Macclesfield Town 3 Chester 1

Chester FC returned back ground to Earth with a bump going down 3-1 in a spirited performance against Macclesfield town. Chester missed a penalty and hit the post before Macclesfield scored a penalty of their own and Waide Fairhurst scored a stunning strike to give the Silkmen a two goal cushion just before the break. A slow start from Chester to the second half saw Matt Barnes-Homer add a third before Ben Heneghan got one back for Chester, who just couldn't find enough to mount a comeback.

An injury to Peter Winn, picked up in the victory over Southend at the weekend, meant that Steve Burr was forced into making one change for the trip to Macclesfield. Winn was replaced by Jamie Menagh while referee Darren England didn't allow Chester to line up in their usual purple away jerseys, due to the clash with Macclesfield's home shirts of Blue meaning that Chester lined up in dark green jerseys with purple shorts and socks.

The first half hour of the game was largely uneventful, both sides battled hard for possession, with neither side able to find that final ball. Chester had the better of the chances in the opening half hour, with a long range effort from man of the moment, Craig Mahon that Rhys Taylor saved.

On the stroke of the half hour the game sprung into life, Sean McConville beat his man and was brought down, and referee, England, pointed to the spot. McConville stepped up and fired to the keepers left but Rhys Taylor made a fine save to keep the home side level.

From here the game sprung to life and Chester were looking the more dangerous, seeing a couple of efforts blocked and Craig Mahon saw his effort blocked and it broke to John Rooney, who couldn't connect well enough and could only fire against the post.

Chester were made to pay for their wasted chances as Jamie Menagh conceded a very soft penalty for a shove in the back. Waide Fairhurst stepped up and sent Jon Worsnop the wrong way to give the hosts the lead.

The Blues hardly had time to gather their thoughts before the ball was in the back of the net again as Fairhurst got his second with a stunning effort from 35 yards that flew into the top corner, giving Worsnop no chance again.

It was completely against the run of play, and Chester were staring down the barrel but responded well before the break, with Craig Mahon escaping his man and pulling a cross back to Sean McConville who was again denied by the star of the first half for the home side, Rhys Taylor.

Macclesfield should have put the result out of doubt though just before half time as Arthur Ghanoua closed down Matty Brown and squared for ex-Blue, Chris Holroyd, who was denied by Jon Worsnop in the Chester goal.

Craig Mahon nearly pulled one back for the visitors as the half time whistle went as he cut inside and curled the ball into the top corner but referee Darren England's whistle had already gone.

The start of the second half was the opposite of the end of the first as Macclesfield were well on top and punished Chester in the 52nd minute as the excellent Waide Fairhurst shaped to shoot before sliding in Chris Holroyd, Ben Heneghan made a fine challenge but the ball broke to Matthew Barnes-Homer who smashed it home from 15 yards out.

Once again the goal sparked a second as Chester went down the other end and got a corner that Ben Heneghan powered home to give Chester a lifeline.

As Chester pushed for a way back into the game became end to end, with Arthur Ghanoua forcing Worsnop into a save before Matty Brown headed just wide for the Blues at the other end.

Former Chester striker Chris Holroyd could have put the game beyond doubt for the home side as he got a free header 8 yards out but he couldn't find the target, much to Chester's relief.

Debutant Josh O'Keefe had a chance to pull one back for the Blues in the dying stages but he couldn't get his effort on target. At the other end Matt Barnes-Homer had a chance to add a fourth for the hosts but he couldn't keep his effort down.

Chester: Worsnop, Heneghan, G Roberts, Brown (c), Charnock, James, McConville, Rooney, Menagh (Touray), Hobson (Oates), Mahon
Subs: C Roberts, O'Keefe, Harrison

Macclesfield: Taylor, Halls, Barrow, Pikington, Turnbull, Holroyd, Fairhurst (Moke), Ghanoua, Whittaker, Barnes-Homer, Hogan
Subs: Branagan, Grant, Bailey, Lavelle-Moore

Goal Scorers: Macclesfield: Fairhurst (39, 42), Barnes-Homer (52). Chester: Heneghan (54)
Booking: Macclesfield: Turnbull, Halls. Chester: McConville.
Attendance: 1,951
Man of the Match: Macclesfield: Taylor. Chester: Mahon.

Referee: D England
Assistant Referees: S Richardson, M Hutchinson
4th Official: C Isherwood

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?