Skip to main content


16:54 24th January 2015

Chester FC 1 - 0 Kidderminster Harriers

Chester FC got back to winning ways in a game of two halves with Kidderminster. The Blues created plenty of chances in the first half but only had Craig Mahon's goal to show for it before Kidderminster came back and were only kept out by a fine performance from Jon Worsnop as the Blues secured their first three points of 2015.

Steve Burr made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 at Southport last weekend with Tom Peers moving out on loan during the week and Kingsley James suspended, this allowed the Blues boss to bring in John Rooney and allow for Oliver McBurnie to make his debut.

Chester's afternoon got off to a poor start as captain Matty Brown went to ground whilst clearing a ball and it forced the Blues to make a substitution, with Ben Heneghan coming on in his place.

The first chance of the afternoon went to the home side as Craig Mahon's cross was blocked but Sean McConville reacted quickest and turned wonderfully before forcing Danny Lewis into a save at the near post, with Brad Abbott inches away from firing home the rebound.

Both sides were working the ball around nicely and after ten minutes Matty Hughes managed to make some space on the edge of the area and curl an effort goalwards but Lewis was on hand to gather comfortably.

Ten minutes later and John Rooney fired an effort from 30 yards but Lewis got behind it well to again save comfortably.

On the stroke of the half hour Chester broke the deadlock with a stunning strike from Craig Mahon, the Blues winger picked up the ball on the edge of the area and jinked to create some space before curling an effort past Danny Lewis' outstretched grasp.

With the recent additions Steve Burr's men looked much improved, but it was two of the players who've been here all season that nearly combined for Chester's second, Craig Mahon twisted and turned to get space to cross before picking out Sean McConville at the back post but he couldn't keep his header down and cleared the bar from close range.

While it certainly wasn't one way traffic all the chances in the first half fell to the Blues, Craig Mahon's superb cross was just ahead of Oliver McBurnie and Brad Abbott to prevent Chester from going in at half time two up.

Kidderminster started the second half in a similar vein to the first, firing an effort wide in the opening minute of the half, but were clearly improved from the first and had a couple of other half chances within the first ten minutes of the half but failed to trouble Jon Worsnop in the Chester goal.

Craig Mahon attempted an ambitious lob that Harriers 'keeper Danny Lewis was equal to before Aaron Wildig was denied well by Jon Worsnop, diving at his feet.

Wildig had another chance shortly after as the ball broke to him near the penalty spot but he snatched at the chance and fired it wide.

With Kidderminster well on top in the second half former Wrexham striker Danny Wright missed a golden chance to level. Aaron Wildig struck an effort goalwards and Wright, six yards out headed the ball wide of the Chester goal.

Chester suffered their second injury of the game as Brad Abbott was substituted for George Thomson, clearly in discomfort with his lower back after Aaron Wildig's challenge.

The visitors continued to look for the equaliser and Chester again had Jon Worsnop to thank for keeping them out as he denied Aman Verma's powerful effort with a good diving save.

The Blues nearly managed to strike on the counter attack as Craig Mahon cut inside and beat two before firing over the bar.

Deep into extra time and it was Worsnop again who was the last line of defence, Craig Mahon's clearance went up and not away and the ball was headed to Danny Wright, who struck a superb effort on the turn and Worsnop made another excellent save, diving away to his right to secure a huge three points for the Blues.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Kay, Brown (c), Roberts, Rooney (Green 72), Abbott (Thomson 84), Mahon, Hughes, McConville, McBurnie
Subs: Viscosi, Richards, Heneghan

Kidderminster: Lewis, Hodgkiss (Green 80), Byrne, Johnson, Wright, Grimes, Verma, Reffell (Spencer 55), Tunnicliffe, Wildig, Nicholson
Subs: Kelly, Singh, Asante

Goal scorers: Chester: Mahon (30)
Bookings: Chester: Kay
Man of the match: Chester: Heneghan. Kidderminster: Wildig.
Attendance: 2,111

Referee: Adrian Holmes
Assistant Referees: Luke Watson, Joe Simpson
Fourth Official: Duncan Carratt

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?