Skip to main content


17:33 4th January 2015
By  Steven Peach

Chester FC 2-3 Braintree Town

CHESTER FC recorded their second consecutive defeat in a week having lost 3-2 at home to Braintree Town.

The Blues took the lead just before half time after Sean McConville intercepted the ball and twisted and turned well to create himself space in the box. He fired his shot towards goal which took a deflection off Alan Massey to go sailing into the top left corner of the net.

Following the break, Braintree got back into the game after they played a dangerous ball which the Blues failed to deal with. Jon Worsnop attempted to punch the cross clear, resulting in him leaving his goal line, before Kenny Davies lobbed the keeper to score.

The Iron doubled their lead moments later following another smart move from the visitors which caught the Blues by surprise. The ball was played into the area which fell to Jordan Cox who had time to head home his effort.

Chester got themselves level again after Matty Brown rose highest from a corner kick to beat the Iron stopper.

Minutes later, Braintree went down the other end and took the lead once more after Worsnop was forced to produce a good save, before Cox poked home the free ball from six-yards out.

The game started off in a quiet fashion, with both sides testing one another out in the centre of midfield and breaking up any opposing chances.

Braintree had the first chance of the game after the Blues failed to deal with a goalmouth scramble. The ball fell to Cox who placed his shot well wide of Worsnop’s goal.

Chester immediately went down the other end and came close to take the lead after Craig Mahon played a dangerous ball into the Iron’s area. The defence cleared the ball, only for it to fall to Ben Heneghan who shot his powerful effort off target.

The first half continued to play out in a laboured style with chances minimal for both sides. Brown came close for the Blues after he attempted to poke home a loose ball, however it was deflected wide for a corner kick. John Rooney played the ball in, but the Iron cleared their lines.

Following the break, the game started much livelier as both teams created chances. The Blues came close to making a goal of the season contender after Brown played a 40-yard cross-field ball to McConville who struck a hard and low shot, but Hamann got down well to save.

Despite falling behind, Chester continued to attack and had another chance through Heneghan. The defender charged up field and attempted a 20-yard strike which failed to hit the target.

Moments before the full time whistle, the Blues won a free kick just outside the area. Rooney played a good ball in which forced Hamann to tip the effort over the bar for a corner kick. McConville played the resulting corner in which fell to Brown who could only head the ball over the goal.

The result means that the Blues are still placed 17th in the league.


Chester FC:Worsnop, Heneghan, Brown, Charnock, Roberts, Kay (Peers 54’), James, Mahon, Hobson (Richards 62’), Rooney, McConville

Subs: Greenop, Blake, Riley

Braintree Town:Hamann, Brundle, Habergham, Isaac (Sparkes 30’), Paine, Massey, Davies, Akinola (Walker 82), Cox (Marks 77’), Clerima, Mulley

Subs:Strutton, Pentney

Referee: Ben Toner

Assistants: Thomas Harty and Chris Hope

Fourth Official: Aaron Jackson

Attendance: 1,690

By Steven Peach


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?