Skip to main content


17:38 4th October 2014

Chester FC 1 Welling Utd 1

CHESTER FC played out a 1-1 draw on Saturday afternoon at the Swansway Chester Stadium after the Blues lead for 92 minutes before leaking a goal moments before the full time whistle.

Chester took the lead on the 10 minute mark after Craig Mahon shot from distance which tested Jon Henly in the Welling goal. The Wings stopper got down and fumbled the shot which resulted in the ball to bounce despairingly over him and trickle over the line.

Welling persevered and got a goal back three minutes into added time after some poor defending from a corner which allowed Tyrone Marsh to back-heel his effort past the Blues defence to give the visitors a point.

The game started on an even note as both teams looked to try and take control. Welling found themselves with a good chance to grab a goal moments from kick-off after Marsh broke free in the box, but Jon Worsnop got out of his goal quickly and intercepted the ball well.

The Blues worked a good chance for themselves moments later after Mahon done well to win the ball just inside the area. The winger flicked the ball into the box but it had too much height on it for Michael Kay who arrived at the back post.

Chester were then on the receiving end of a Welling attack after the Wings caught Worsnop out with a dangerous ball into the Blues area which fell to Marsh at the back post, but the striker placed his shot wide.

Just before half time, Wings captain Jake Gallagher had a free run through Chester’s midfield and broke into the box before he unleashed a shot down the throat of Worsnop who saved comfortably.

Chester started the brighter of the sides after the break and came close to doubling their lead after Mahon picked out Sean McConville with a good pass which allowed him to run on into the box. The attacker fired a good shot towards the Wings’ back post but it went inches wide.

The Blues continued to attack and came close again following a delightful ball from Gareth Roberts which picked out Chris Iwelumo. The striker managed to get his head to the ball and attempted to direct it somewhat towards goal but it went well wide.

As the second half played out, chances were harder to come by for both teams. Gallagher attempted another shot for the visitors, this time from close distance, but it failed to put the Chester stopper under any pressure.


Chester FC: Worsnop, Heneghan, Kay, Charnock, Roberts, James, Rooney, Touray, Mahon (Winn 81’), McConvlle, Iwelumo (Harrison 81’).
Subs not used: C Roberts, Brown, Hobson.

Goal: Mahon 10.

Welling United: Henly, Fazakerly, Fyfield, Bush, Jefford, Day, Gallagher, Beautyman, Nouble (Hudson 61’), Marsh, Healy
Subs not used: Turner, Williams, Corne, Fagan.

Goal: Marsh 90+3

Booked: Gallagher, Jefford

Referee: Jason Whitely
Assistants: Chris Hope and Natalie Walker
FourthOfficial: Chris Ward

Attendance: 1,997

Match Report by Steven Peach


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?