Skip to main content


17:15 26th December 2014
By  Steven Peach

Blues defeated by Robins

CHESTER FC slumped to a 2-0 defeat on a snowy Boxing Day afternoon as the Christmas encounter failed to produce a cracker at the Swansway.

Altrincham took the lead after the Blues were left open at the back, allowing Tom Marshall to be unmarked at the back post. The attacker headed the ball down, beating Jon Worsnop on the line.

The Robins doubled their lead on the 59th minute after poor defending from Chester led Altrincham to exploit the defence. The visitors played the ball into the area, which found Gianluca Havern who headed home from two-yards out.

Altrincham had the first chance just five minutes into the game after Simon Richman had an audacious shot from 25-yards, but it failed to trouble Worsnop.

The Blues immediately got a hold of the game and won a free-kick just outside the Robins’ area. John Rooney stepped up and placed his effort towards the bottom right corner, before Stuart Coburn pulled off a terrific save.

As the game continued with an end-to-end tempo, with the Robins coming close again following another good move from Richman. The midfielder attempted another long range effort which called Worsnop into action who got down well to save.

Chester created another good chance after Kane Richards won a free kick on the edge of the area. Rooney played the ball in which was deflected away for a corner kick.

Sean McConville sent the corner kick into the area which saw Coburn punch thin air, resulting in Havern heading the ball away off the line.

After the break Chester started spritely and created another chance through Craig Hobson. The striker picked up the ball well and twisted and turned before sending his effort wide of Coburn’s post.

As the snow fell at the Swansway, Hobson was in the heart of the action again after he charged into the area, but failed to knock the ball past Coburn who came quickly out of his net to gather the ball.

The visitors remained the more dominant of the two sides and had another good opportunity to score. Nicky Clee received the ball just inside the Chester half and beat two Blues players before sending a hard and low shot wide of the goal.

The defeat for the Blues drops them one position in the Vanarama Conference table, who sit in 16th place.



Chester FC: Worsnop, Kay, Brown, Charnock (Heneghan), Touray; Rooney, James, Mahon (Menagh), McConville (Riley), Richards, Hobson.

Subs: C Roberts, Peers.


Altrincham: Coburn, Densmore, Griffin, Moult, Havern, Lawrie, Richman, Perry (Leather), Marshall, Crowther (Clee), Cavanagh.

Subs: Gillespie, Wilkinson, Parton


Referee: Darren England

Assistants: Joe Johnson and Barry Lamb

Fourth Official: Justin Hayes

Attendance: 2,569


By Steven Peach


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?