Skip to main content


20:30 20th December 2014

Barnet 3 Chester FC 0

Chester suffered a set back in their away trip to Barnet today, going down 3-0 at The Hive as the League leaders strengthened their position at the top of the Vanarama Conference.

Their plight wasn't helped by the sending off of Gareth Roberts, who was shown a red card in the opening minutes of the second half, and from that point the hosts never looked back.

Barnet, who beat Chester 5-0 on the opening day of the season went in to the game knowing that they could stretch their lead at the top of the table to 7 points, and Steve Burr had hoped to prevent that happening with the introduction of striker Kane Richards who signed during the week from Evo-Stik League side Ilkeston. Richards replaced Michael Kay with Ben Heneghan returning to the right back role.

Chester started brightly and had chances through Sean McConville and John Rooney, whilst the hosts responded with chances of their own, and in fact it was the Blues who had the ball in the net on 16 minutes with debutant Richards denied a first goal after his lob over Bees keeper Graham Stack was ruled out by an offside flag which was a questionable decision.

The Blues continued to work openings and Matty Brown was next to see a header blocked but then the home side took the lead just on the half hour mark after Kingsley James - a regular choice for Man of the Match - this time hit a short back pass which John Akinde took advantage of and fired past Jon Worsnop to give Barnet the lead.

Chester then tried to get themselves back into the game but Craig Hobson couldn't get any power to a header from a McConville cross, and so it was 1-0 at half time.

After the half time interval, Chester went straight for an equalizer and Craig Hobson was unlucky to see his long range effort rebound off the crossbar after his fine strike had Stack in the Barnet goal well beaten.

Unfortunately though, that was as good as it got, as just a minute later Chester were reduced to ten men, as Gareth Roberts was given his marching orders for an alleged elbow on Luisma much to the delight of the baying home fans.

It didn't take too much longer for Barnet to increase their lead, when Lee Cook crossed for Charlie MacDonald, who fired home just before the hour.

That goal gave Barnet fresh impetus and the league leaders then went forward, with Mauro Vilhete bring a great save out of Jon Worsnop before Bernard Mensah saw his effort well saved by the Chester keeper.

The killer goal from the Bees came with ten minutes left on the clock, with a good move that culminated in Curtis Weston scoring from the edge of the penalty area, and that was it as far as Chester's day in the capital was concerned.

Chester will now turn their attentions to the FA Trophy 1st Round replay at home to AFC Telford United on Monday night, with fans hoping for some pre-Christmas cheer and a place in the 2nd Round with AFC Fylde awaiting the winners.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Heneghan, Brown, Charnock, G Roberts, James, Rooney, Mahon, McConville, Richards, Hobson (Touray 55).

Subs: Kay, Winn, Peers, Greenop.

Sent off: Roberts.

Booked: Heneghanm, Charnock, Mahon.

Barnet: Stack, Yiadom, N'Gala, Saville, Johnson, Villa, Togwell, Weston, Cook (Vilhete 61), Akinde (Stephens 77), MacDonald (Mensah 69).

Subs: Muggleton, Hunt.

Goals: Akinde 28, MacDonald 58, Weston 81.

Referee: Dean Treleaven (West Sussex)

Attendance: 1,946.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?