Skip to main content


21:42 9th September 2014

Chester 0 Torquay 2

Chester FC suffered a two-nil home defeat to Torquay United. The visitors were on top for most of the game as Chester struggled to find their passing game and took the lead with a Aaron Downes header midway through the second half before Ryan Bowman got a deserved goal to secure the points.

Steve Burr named an unchanged match day squad for his first time this season after the sides impressive performance against Macclesfield Town. It meant that Jaden Hall and Sean McConville would occupy roles on the left and right wing respectively while Craig Hobson looked to continue his impressive form as the central striker.

Chester were fortunate not to find themselves down a goal early on though and had Jon Worsnop to thank for the visitors not taking the lead in the second minute.

Ryan Bowman was denied by the Blues 'keeper after getting behind the Chester back line before Worsnop rose quickly to make a fine second save.

A minute later and Bowman found himself in again and again Worsnop was quick off his line to stop the Gulls striker in his tracks.

After a short injury break for Duane Ofori-Acheampong Chester nearly took the lead themselves, Kingsley James fired a low effort across goal and Craig Hobson turned it just wide of Martin Rice's left post.

The visitors looked the livelier of the two sides and were constantly looking a threat with through balls to Bowman and Ofori-Acheampong and spurned several half chances.

Controversy surrounded midway through the first half as Michael Kay brought down Luke Young, who was through on goal, referee Karl Evans then showed Kieran Charnock a second yellow card before consulting with his assistant reversed his decision and instead showed Michael Kay a yellow card, much to the fury of the Torquay players, management and fans.

On the stroke of half time Torquay nearly took the lead, continuing to feed Duane Ofori-Acheampong the big centre forward held off Kieran Charnock before turning and firing against the post from four yards out.

More controversy came at half time as an incident between Angus MacDonald and Craig Hobson threatened to boil over but the Chester man's teammates were quick to calm the matter.

The Gulls started the second half brightly and Courtney Richards fired a looping effort just over the bar.

Chester substitute Craig Mahon nearly broke the deadlock as he ran on to Ben Heneghan's cross but the ball bounced just over him.

Torquay finally broke the deadlock just after the hour as Luke Young's corner managed to find Aaron Downes who headed in powerfully from close range.

With ten minutes to go Ryan Bowman made the points safe for the visitors, skipping through the Chester defence before firing low under Jon Worsnop in the Chester goal.

Chester: Worsnop, Heneghan, Kay, Charnock, Roberts, Harrison (c) (Morris 65), James, Rooney, Hall (Mahon 58), McConville (Riley 71), Hobson
Subs: Roberts, Riley, Iwelumo

Torquay: Rice, Tonge, Cruise, Downes, Young (c), Bowman, Ajala, Chapell, Richards, MacDonald, Ofori-Acheampong
Subs: Pearce, Yeoman, Wakefield, Seabright, Sullivan

Goal Scorers: Torquay: Downes (61), Bowman (78)
Booked: Chester: Charnock, Kay, James, Rooney. Torquay: MacDonald, Ofori-Acheampong, Ajala, Richards.
Attendance: 1,954
Man of the match: Chester: Jon Worsnop. Torquay: Courtney Richards.

Referee: Karl Evans
Assistant Referee: Joe Johnson, Ian Gittins
4th Official: Dean Watson

Match Pictures courtesy of Terry Marland
Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?