Skip to main content


17:00 6th September 2014

Chester 1 Macclesfield Town 0

Chester FC recorded their first home win of the season after beating Macclesfield Town 1-0 in an entertaining game on Non League Day. A stunning free kick from John Rooney, against his old club, was the goal that separated the two sides come full time.

Steve Burr made just one change from the side that went down 2-1 at Gateshead last weekend, with Kieran Charnock coming in to replace Danny Taylor, forcing Ben Heneghan back to the right back position.

The Blues made a bright start, working well and looking dangerous with Rooney playing close to Hobson. The opening effort of the contest went to the visitors though as Chester were nearly caught out by a counter attack as Domaine Rouse fired low from the edge of the area but Jon Worsnop was equal to it.

Chester came back though and nearly took the lead as Kingsley James met a Rooney corner but Rhys Taylor made a brilliant save from close range.

It wasn't long before the deadlock was broken though as Craig Hobson was felled on the edge of the area and John Rooney stepped up to fire an unstoppable effort into the top corner against his old club, leaving Rhys Taylor with no chance of saving it.

Macclesfield were presented with a fantastic chase to equalise when Chester's defence went to sleep, allowing Arthur Gnahoua in one on one but Jon Worsnop did brilliantly to dive down low and stop the Macclesfield player in his tracks.

As the game came towards half time Chester were presented with two glorious chances to increase their lead. First John Rooney's sublime cross was inches away from Kingsley James' head and  curled just the wrong side of the post.

Moments later and Danny Harrison should have scored after Jaden Hall picked him out, unmarked on the edge of the area but the Chester midfielder couldn't get his effort on target and saw the Blues go in 1-0 up at the break.

The second half saw Chester start brightly again as Craig Hobson continued to terrorise the Macclesfield defence, winning a free kick before finding Rooney who fired tamely at Rhys Taylor in the Macclesfield goal.

Macclesfield were enjoying far more of the play in the second half and could have equalised if it wasn't for Jon Worsnop's excellent reading of the game. Domaine Rouse got clear of Michael Kay but Worsnop was quickly off his line to clear and start a quick counter attack that saw Luke Waterfall turn the ball over his own bar from close range after Kingsley James' header.

Chester began to drop deeper as Macclefield pressed but Kieran Charnock was an absolute rock alongside Michael Kay at the back, making several important challenges.

Craig Hobson was naerly able to get a goal that his performance deserved as he beat Rhys Taylor to a deflected Craig Mahon cross but couldn't keep his header down.

The Blues targetman nearly scored an absolutely stunning effort with 10 minutes remaining, gathering the ball 25 yards out and trying to lob Rhys Taylor but the Macclesfield 'keeper did very well to get back and turn the ball over the bar.

The Silkmen were continuing to press though and could have had their equaliser if it wasn't for Jon Worsnop, making his third important save of the afternoon after Macclesfield pushed men into the area, with the ball breaking at the back post but Worsnop was out quickly and made himself big to save from close range.

As the full time whistle drew closer the Blues fans got more and more vocal and the roar at full time showed just how much the result meant to them.

Chester: Worsnop, Kay, Heneghan, Charnock, Roberts, Harrison (c), Rooney, James, McConville, Hall (Mahon 69), Hobson
Subs: Roberts, Riley, Morris, Iwelumo

Macclesfield Town: Taylor, Halls, Barrrow, Waterfall, Pilkington, Turnbull (c), Lewis, Fairhurst, Moke (Holroyd 43), Gnahoua, Rouse (Haining 80)
Subs: Holroyd, Cowan, Gonzalez-Diaz, Branagan

Goal Scorers: Chester: Rooney (13)
Booked: Chester: Kay. Macclesfield: Turnbull, Halls, Barrow
Man of the match: Chester: Kieran Charnock. Macclesfield: Andy Halls.
Attendance: 2,612

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth
Assistant Referees: Chris Ward, Ian Johnston
Fourth Official: Dean Watson

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?