Skip to main content


21:46 2nd December 2014
By  Albert Davies

Chester 2 AFC Telford 0

A solid second half performance from the Blues ensured they picked up three points against bottom club Telford on a cold night at the Swansway.

Captain Matty Brown headed home the opener, and the lead was doubled courtesy of a bizarre own goal late on.

The Blues made one change from the away defeat at Nuneaton on the weekend - with Kingsley James returning to replace Danny Harrison.

The visitors had the first chance of the game, when they struck the woodwork a matter of minutes into the game. Godfrey Poku let fly from range and his deflected effort clipped the crossbar on its way over.

Chester then grew into the game and had a chance of their own. John Rooney's corner caused havoc in the box and Craig Mahon drilled a low shot just wide when he was set up by Matty Hughes.

Back at the other end, Telford should have taken the lead when a low cross was put wide from close range - with Karl Ledsham and Tony Gray going for the same ball for the Bucks.

Barnsley loanee Rhys Oates nearly gave the Blues the lead just after the half an hour mark when he chested the ball down and powered beyond the defence, before he was denied one-on-one by former Chester keeper Freddie Hall.

Hall was involved in Chester's opener moments after the break. McConville's corner was missed completely by the Bermudan and captain Matty Brown headed home into an empty net.

The lead was doubled with a quarter of an hour left in bizarre circumstances. Rooney slipped a ball in behind for Oates, but keeper Hall got to the ball first. However, he managed to boot the ball at Andy Parry - his own player - and it rebounded into the goal.

Telford struggled to craft any opportunities to respond which ensured it was a comfortable victory under the lights for Steve Burr's side.

Chester: Worsnop, Kay, Brown, Charnock, Roberts, James (Harrison 81), Rooney, Hughes, Mahon (Touray 84), McConville (Peers 90+2), Oates.
Subs Not Used: C Roberts, Hobson.
Goals: Brown 52, Parry (og) 76
Attendance: 1,860
Referee: Richard Wigglesworth (Doncaster)


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?