Skip to main content


18:36 23rd August 2014

Chester 0 Halifax Town 3

Chester FC endured another tough afternoon at home to league leaders Halifax Town. The visitors took the lead through Richard Peniket in the first half before goals from Scot Boden and Matty Pearson sealed a comfortable victory for the Shaymen.

Steve Burr made just one change from the side that started the game against Braintree Town a week ago, with Michael Kay taking over the right back position and John Disney not even on the bench. It also meant that Kingsley James and John Rooney had been deemed fit to play after injury knocks picked up against Braintree.

The visitors nearly got off to the perfect start as Chester's defence was slow to react to a cross and Richard Peniket fired an effort over the bar from 12 yards out.

Moments later and Halifax got in again after Chester failed to deal with another ball into the box and Paul Marshall forced Freddy Hall into making a good save.

Chester were able to get themselves back in the game and John Rooney fired wide from 35 yards before Sean McConville's cross was just too far ahead of Iwelumo.

The impressive Jamie Jackson forced Hall into action again though, firing low from the edge of the area and the Bermuda International got down well to make the save.

After a quiet period in the middle of the first half the visitors took the lead. Chester again failed to clear a low cross into the area and the ball broke to Richard Peniket who turned home past Freddy Hall from eight yards out.

Peter Winn nearly got Chester level at the end of the first half as Peter Winn's effort was deflected just wide, from the resulting corner John Rooney fired an effort just over the bar.

The Shaymen nearly doubled their lead a minute later as Boden once again got through the Chester defence but this time Matty Brown got back and made a super challenge to put it out for a corner.

Chester were forced into a change early into the second half as Craig Mahon went off injured, leaving him in doubt for Monday's match against Kidderminster.

Just after the hour Chester had their best chance of the afternoon as Sean McConville got some space in the penalty area and fired just wide.

Halifax finally did double their lead in the 70th minute as Scot Boden managed to get some separation between himself and Matty Brown and flicked a perfectly placed header into the top corner passed Freddy Hall.

Substitute Ross Dyer nearly added a third as he flicked a corner just wide of the far post.

The Shaymen did eventually add a third as Matty Pearson raced through on goal as Michael Kay appeared to give up on the chase and Pearson slotted the ball under Freddy Hall with the goal at his mercy to complete a fairly comfortable victory for the league leaders.

Chester: Hall, Kay, Brown, Charnock, Roberts (Heneghan 45), Mahon (Menagh 54), James, Rooney, Winn (Hobson 77), McConville, Iwelumo
Subs: Worsnop, Blake, Hobson

Halifax: Glennon, Bolton, McManus, Roberts, Pearson, Marshall, Jackson (Schofield 62), Peniket (Dyer 80), Williams, Boden, Maynard.
Subs: Senior, Ainge, Roberts

Goal Scorers: Halifax: Peniket (35), Boden (70)
Booked: Chester: Charnock
Attendance: 2,501
Man of the match: Chester: James. Halifax: Pearson

Referee: Darren England
Assistant Referees: Matthew Pope
4th Official: Declan Bourne

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?