Skip to main content


22:11 25th November 2014

Princes Park

Dartford 2 Chester FC 4

Chester secured three points courtesy of a remarkable second half comeback at Princes Park to move just six points shy of the play-offs.

Dartford found themselves two goals up moments into the second half, but a brace from Craig Mahon and a goal apiece for Matty Hughes and Rhys Oates completed an incredible second half turnaround for Steve Burr's side.

The Blues made two changes from the battling 2-2 draw with Bristol Rovers, as Michael Kay and Sean McConville replaced Josh O'Keefe and Ben Heneghan - and they made a bright start to the game when Matty Brown headed John Rooney's corner just wide of the goal.

Rooney was involved in the action again minutes later, but the Darts keeper Jason Brown easily saved the midfielders audacious 30 yard effort.

However, the home side took the lead on the quarter of an hour mark. Lee Noble was the man who smashed the ball home following a dangerous cross by Ryan Hayes.

That lead was almost stretched further when Hayes caused more trouble down the wing - but Rory McAuley could only glance his header just wide from the cross.

Fleetwood loanee Hughes then sprung to life at the other end, but he could only fire wide with an effort from outside the box.

Moments into the second half, Dartford doubled their advantage. Hayes caused more problems - this time down the left wing - and crossed excellently for Elliot Bradbrook to head home the second goal.

But the 'never say die' attitude Steve Burr has instilled was evident, as a ten minute flurry saw the Blues turn the tables on the Darts.

Tom Bradbrook's wayward pass was pounced on by Mahon who slotted the ball into the corner from just inside the box.

Then, just four minutes later, Mahon completed his personal brace when the tricky winger connected with Rooney's clinical cutback.

The comeback was completed on the hour mark when Hughes collected a pass from Oates and curled a shot into the bottom right hand corner.

Oates then added a fourth with a few minutes of normal time remaining when he was set up by substitute Craig Hobson.

Chester FC: Worsnop, Roberts, Kay, Brown, Charnock, Mahon (Touray 89), James, Oates (Peers 90), Rooney, McConville (Hobson 76), Hughes.
Subs not used: C Roberts, Harrison.
Goals: Mahon 50 & 54, Hughes 60, Oates 86.
Attendance: 904
Referee: Mark Pottage


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?