Skip to main content


21:45 25th February 2014

Matty Taylor scores at Tamworth

Tamworth 3 Chester FC 4

Chester FC won a thrilling encounter at the Lamb, beating hosts Tamworth 4-3 thanks to a Matty Taylor hat-trick.

The Blues got off to a flying start as Matty Taylor scored twice with a John Rooney effort spliced in between. Matt Godden pulled a goal back for the hosts before the break but Taylor completed his hat-trick early into the half to restore the 3 goal cushion. The hosts weren't about to go down without a fight though and goals from Godden, his second, and Peniket ensured Chester had a nervy final 10 minutes.

Steve Burr made one change from the side that faced Lincoln three days prior, bringing in Paul Linwood at left back to replace the injured Joe Heath while new signing Brendon Daniels made the bench at the expense of Michael Kay.

Ex-Chester City forward Nick Chadwick started for the hosts and created a golden opportunity for the Lambs, squaring for Matt Godden after a missed header by Matt Brown, but Godden couldn't keep his shot down, much to the relief of the Chester defence.

Five minutes later and Chadwick limped off, clearly not recovered from the injury that kept him out of the game against Welling at the weekend.

It was Chester that settled the sooner of the two sides and it was loanee Matty Taylor that broke the deadlock, John Rooney's corner was cleared away as far as Rooney who lifted a ball back into the area to Taylor who's turned the ball home.

Seven minutes later and it was two, Rooney going from creator to scorer as he was allowed too much time and unleashed a ferocious effort from 25 yards past the diving Belford.

The hosts bright spark in the game was clearly the on-loan Godden, and again went close, this time forcing a stunning save from Aaron Chapman in the Chester goal as the 6'8 keeper had to use all his size to tip the ball onto the crossbar.

Taylor got his second of the night 11 minutes before the break as he latched on to a long pass forward and beat Belford again.

The Blues could have further extended their lead as John Rooney attempted an effort from near the half way line before Belford made a good save from Craig Mahon.

Two minutes before half time and The hosts had one back, Peniket's cross finding Godden who was finally able to beat Chapman.

Chester captain for the night, Gareth Seddon, could have added a fourth in the early stages of the second half as he broke free of the defence but his effort went just wide of the far post.

The fourth wasn't far off though and it was Rooney again linking with Taylor that provided it, a superb ball over the defence found Taylor who took a touch before coolly finishing past Belford.

With 15 minutes to go and a three goal cushion Chester took their foot off the gas and were punished, Matt Godden took advantage of some poor defending to fire home his second of the evening before Jack Evans' effort was deflected and forced Chapman into a good save.

Substitute Jessy Reindorf was causing all sorts of problems for the Chester defence and his flick on allowed midfielder Richard Peniket to get in and pull the Lambs within one with eight minutes remaining but despite five minutes of stoppage time Chester were able to hold on for the victory.

Goals: Chester: Taylor (23, 34, 60), Rooney (30). Tamworth: Godden (43, 75), Peniket (82)

Bookings: Tamworth: G Mahon, Fenton, Hildreth, Reindorf

Man of the Match: Matty Taylor

Attendance: 1,036 with 386 Chester fans.
Referee: Darren Handley

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?