Skip to main content


21:54 13th February 2014

Chester 2 Halifax 1

Chester FC sealed a dramatic last minute victory against FC Halifax Town in front of the BT Sport cameras. The visitors played an hour with 10 men after Josh Wilson was sent off in the first half for a stamp on Gareth Seddon. The Blues took the lead 10 minutes into the second half as Craig Mahon turned in from close range. Chester thought they'd blown their chance as James Bolton equalised with 1 minute left before Jamie Menagh scored the winning goal in the final minute of injury time.

Steve Burr made three changes from the side that lost 3-2 to Macclesfield just over a week ago as Chesterfield loanees Aaron Chapman and Matty Brown both came in for John Danby and Paul Linwood while Craig Mahon replaced Jamie Reed on the left.

The Blues started very brightly as Gareth Seddon went close twice, first flicking a cross goalwards but Matt Glennon scrambled well to save before Glennon again denied Seddon as the Chester striker failed to get a clean contact on a ball into the area.

Halifax came back into the game and had the best chance of the first half as Ryan Crowther failed to turn in a cross to the back post, with the ball bobbling infront of him.

In the 40th minute Halifax were reduced to 10 men, Gareth Seddon weaved past two before Josh Wilson stamped on the Chester striker's foot, leading to referee Peter Bankes to show a straight red card.

The first chance of the second half fell to John Rooney who controlled a cross brilliantly before dragging his half volley just wide.

Chester were able to make the man advantage work though as Lewis Turner's cross found Craig Mahon in space at the back post and the Irishman converted from six yards.

Aaron Chapman had to be alert to Ryan Crowther's free kick went through everybody and the young loanee palmed the ball around the post.

Chapman's impressive debut was brought to an early end though as he suffered an injury to his finger that forced number one John Danby to be brought on.

Chester pressed to find a second but were unable to find a second to finish off the game and were made to pay for it in the 94th minute of the game. Gareth Seddon's clearance hit the back of Jamie Menagh and fell nicely for James Bolton who smashed the ball home.

The home side weren't done there though and indecision in the Halifax defence lead to Jamie Menagh snuck between defender and goalkeeper to seal the win for Chester and cause jubilant sees around the Swansway Chester Stadium.

Chester: Chapman (Danby 72), Turner, Killock, Brown, Heath, Rooney, Bond, Jarrett, Mahon (Menagh 87), Seddon (c), Taylor (Reed 90)
Subs: Linwood, Mainwaring

Halifax: Glennon, Maynard, McManus, Roberts, Ainge, Marshall, Bolton, Wilson, Lenighan (Jackson 45), Crowther (Smith 74), Gregory (c)
Subs: Senior, Challinor, Smith, Jackson, Worthington

Goal Scorers: Chester: Mahon (55), Menagh (90+5). Halifax: Bolton (90+4)
Bookings: Chester: Rooney, Heath, Jarrett. Halifax: Ainge.
Sent Off: Halifax: Wilson.
Man of the match: Chester: Mahon. Halifax: Glennon.

Referee: Peter Bankes
Assistant Referees: Matthew Donohue, Helen Byrne
4th Official: Matt Parry

Match Report by Chris Graham.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?