Skip to main content


17:00 30th November 2013

Chester 1 Barrow 2

Chester FC crashed out of the FA Trophy at the first round after blowing a half time lead to Conference North side Barrow AFC. The Blues took the lead through Gareth Seddon's second minute strike before a Marcus Carver brace gave the away side the victory

Both of Chester's loanee signings started as Neil Young made several changes from the side that lost to Nuneaton last weekend.

The Blues got off to the perfect start, a lovely move saw Craig Mahon play a superb reverse pass to set Kevin McIntyre free, the Blues left back then unselfishly squared the ball for Gareth Seddon to tap him from six yards out.

Chester nearly had a second as John Rooney, on debut, saw his shot spilled and McMillan saved well from Mahon on the rebound.

Marcus Carver looked dangerous for the visitors, though his couple of efforts were well blocked by Chester centre back Danny Higginbotham.

Aside from a few half chances, and Gareth Seddon causing a few issues for the Barrow defence it was a quiet half after the early strike.

The Blues looked for a fast start again in the second half and a nice move featuring both new loanee's saw Miller play it to Rooney who found Kevin McIntyre out wide, his ball in found Seddon but his header was turned for a corner.

John Rooney came close to doubling the Blues lead as his effort from the edge of the area was saved well by McMillan.

Barrow equalised as Jamie Allen's effort was saved by Danby before Marcus Carver turned in from close range.

The goal gave Barrow confidence and a quick counter attack as Nick Rushton broke free of the Chester defence but could only shoot low and too close to Danby, as the Blues keeper greatfully grabbed the ball.

Nick Rushton got in behind Kevin McIntyre and squared for Marcus Carver to tap home for his second.

Chester tried to rally and after Marcus Carver appeared to get away with a headbutt on Lewis Turner.

Tony McMillan made a fine double save to keep Barrow in the lead. First saving from Alex Titchiner's fine volley before getting to his feet and turning over from Seddon.

Chester went inches away from getting an equaliser as John Rooney picked out Gareth Seddon in space on the right. Seddon played across the face of the goal and was inches away from finding Danny Higginbotham to turn home. Barrow were able to see out the final few minutes to book their place in the second round.

Chester: Danby, Linwood, Jarrett, L Turner, McIntyre, Higginbotham (c), Seddon, Mahon (Titchiner 63), Rooney, Miller (A Williams 63), Lester (Reed 75)
Subs: Heath, Horan

Barrow: McMillan, Burns, Edwards (c), Ray-Harvey, O'Donnell (R Williams 73), Reynolds, Allen, Sheridan, Rushton, Carver (Arnison 90), Lacey
Subs: Thomson, Arnison, Radcliffe, Parkinson

Goal Scorers: Chester: Seddon (3). Barrow: Carver (58, 74)
Bookings: Chester: McIntyre, Miller, L Turner, Linwood
Man of the Match: Chester: Seddon, Barrow: Carver.
Attendance: 1,409

Referee: Peter Wright
Assistant Referee: Martin Dexter, Chris Husband
4th Official: Adam Dean

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?