Skip to main content


17:03 21st December 2013

Chester 3 Lincoln 3

Chester FC were denied a vital three points in the dying stages in an action packed game. Chester started well, Jamie Menagh's brace putting them two up after 11 minutes before Bohan Dixon pulled one back for the visitors. Gareth Seddon was shown a straight red card after half an hour leaving the Blues with an uphill battle for the remaining hour. A strange penalty decision from referee Wayne Barrett got Lincoln back level before Jason Jarrett got a soft penalty to restore the lead. George Horan's injury time own goal in the 93rd minute ensured the visitors left with a point though, crushing Blues spirits.

Club captain George Horan returned to the Chester side as Neil Young made several changes to the team once again. The big news was that Danny Higginbotham passed a late fitness test to start the game.

Chester started brightly, Jamie Reed striking an effort just wide after linking up with Gareth Seddon.

It was debutant Jamie Menagh though who took over the early stages, scoring twice in the space of two minutes.

The first was brilliantly controlled on the edge of the area before unleashing a fierce striker past Paul Farman in the Lincoln goal.

Jamie Menagh - scored twice on full debut

Menagh's second was equally as good, striking again from the edge of the area leaving Farman unable to reach it.

In a lively start to the game Lincoln struck back seven minutes later, Bohan Dixon's looping header was palmed into the back of the Chester goal, the Blues fans were given hope when they saw the linesmans flag raised but the goal stood.

Chester's poor disciplinary record looked set to cost them again though as Gareth Seddon was shown a straight red for an off the ball tangle with Tom Miller. It was the second game in a row that Chester would face the final hour of the game with 10 men.

Seddon sees red 

Despite the numerical advantage Lincoln struggled to stamp their advantage over the ten men, though tempers flared as a late challenge from Luke Foster on Jason Jarrett went unpunished.

The second half started in the worst possible way, with the referee once again at the heart of the action. A cross from Alan Power was gathered cleanly by John Danby before the referee pointed to the spot, with nobody sure why. Michael Kay was shown a yellow card in the aftermath. Alan Power stepped up and confidently dispatched past Danby's outstretched arm.

Fortunately the decision evened itself out moments later though as Jason Jarrett went down in the Lincoln area and won a very soft penalty. John Rooney stepped up and sent Farman the wrong way.

Rooney slots home penalty 

With very few chances in the game Lincoln had a chance to level as the ball broke to Tom Miller at the far post but the right back blazed over the bar.

Chester continued to search for a fourth and Jamie Reed got on the end of a corner but couldn't direct his effort goalwards.

Despite a fantastic effort it wasn't to be though as a ball across the face of the Chester area was turned into his own goal by George Horan in the 93rd minute of the goal.

Chester: Danby, Kay, Horan (c), Higginbotham, Heath (McIntyre), Menagh (Peers), Rooney, G Miller, Jarrett, Seddon, Reed (Lindfield)
Subs: Mahon, Williams

Lincoln: Farman, Miller, Newton, Fofana (Robinson 64), Power (c), Wright, Tomlinson, Sheridan, Dixon, Brown (Jordan), Foster
Subs: Rowe, Ward, Preece

Goal Scorers: Chester: Menagh (9, 11), Rooney (57). Dixon (17), Power (50)
Bookings: Chester: Rooney, Higginbotham, Kay, Jarrett, Horan. Lincoln: Newton.
Sent Off: Seddon.
Man of the match: Chester: Menagh. Lincoln: Dixon.
Attendance: 1,850

Referee: Wayne Barrett
Assistant Referees: Joseph Johnson
4th Official: Martin Woods

Match Report by Chris Graham
Match Pictures by Terry Marland


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?