Skip to main content


21:50 12th November 2013

Hereford Utd 2-2 Chester FC

A strong defensive showing from Chester in the second half ensured they earned a point at Hereford.

The Bulls took the lead after 16 minutes through a Jason Jarrett own goal before goals from Craig Lindfield  and Gareth Seddon saw the Blues lead a frantic four minutes later! Ross Dyer equalised for the Bulls who went on to spend a lot of time attacking in the second half but the Blues held firm.

Just one change for Neil Young's men as he brought in Gareth Seddon for Chris Lester, reverting to a traditional 4-4-2.

Jason Jarrett had the first chance of the game, his inital shot finding Lewis Turner who played it back to the commanding midfielder with his second effort going just over the bar.

The hosts took the lead with their first real chance of the game. A cross from the right wing was met by Ross Dyer and Jason Jarrett, both players going for the ball and it appeared to take the last touch off Dyer.

Chester struck back straight away though as Craig Lindfield pressured Lloyd-Weston on a cross the second choice keeper couldn't hold it, Lindfield saw his backheel blocked on the line before slide tackling the ball into the goal.

The Blues quickly turned that deficit into a lead as Ross Killock's ball forward saw Daniel Lloyd-Weston caught in no mans land and when Gareth Seddon beat him to the ball it was always going to be trouble for the Bulls as Seddon turned into an open goal from 40 yards.

With ten minutes to go until the break Hereford were level. Frankie Artus' free kick was flicked on by Ross Dyer and past the diving Danby.

It nearly got worse for the Blues as Dyer got in behind the backline but Ross Killock doing well to get back and stop any chance of a shot at goal.

Ross Dyer should have got his second shortly after the restart. Danny Leadbitter's cross was just too high for Michael Rankine but picked out Dyer who just couldn't get enough power on his effort and Danby saved comfortably.

Hereford were well in the ascendancy in the second half and could have taken the lead if not for a good save by Danby. Frankie Artus forcing the Chester keeper into the save.

The Bulls continued to crank up the pressure as Chris Bush saw his shot go just over the bar before Michael Rankine forced Danby to turn the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner Rod McDonald flicked a header goalwards at the near post but Danby was alert to stop it on the line.

Rankine again forced Danby into a save, this time low to his right, turning the ball round the post.

Hereford thought they'd snatched the lead with five minutes to go as the ball was turned into the net but a foul was given for an infringement on Danby.

In the final minute of the game Chester won a corner that Michael Kay couldn't keep down but it ensured the Blues held on for a point to move them out of the bottom four.

Chester: Danby, Jarrett, Lindfield, L Turner, McIntyre, N Turner (Kay 53), Higginbotham (c), Seddon (Lester 64), Mahon, Killock, Wilkinson (Reed 60)
Subs: Linwood, Fearon

Hereford: Lloyd-Weston, Leadbitter, Bush, McDonald, O'Keefe (c), Walker (Brown 70), Collins, Rankine, Artus (Edwards 80), Lathrope, Dyer
Subs: Smith, Odhiambo, Murphy

Goal Scorers: Hereford: Dyer (16, 32). Chester: Lindfield (18), Seddon (21)
Booked: Hereford: Lathrope
Man of the Match: John Danby
Referee: Mr B Huxtable
Assistant Referees: Mr N Pratt, Mr S Eagland
4th Official: Mr D Ricketts

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?