Skip to main content


17:04 9th November 2013

Hyde 1 Chester 2

Chester FC came from a goal down to secure a vital three points at Ewen Fields. After going behind inside the first three minutes Chester battled back well and goals either side of the break ensured the Blues got a big win against the leagues bottom club.

Just one change for Neil Young's men from the side that came five minutes away from beating Aldershot Town last weekend, only to be denied so cruelly, Craig Mahon coming in for Joe Heath.

With plenty of standing water on the pitch, set to cause plenty of issues as the ball is held up, Craig Mahon's cross made it's way through to Ross Killock but he couldn't keep his shot down.

From the resulting goal kick Chester were caught out of position and a through ball to Louis Almond saw him finish emphatically past Danby from 25 yards, giving Hyde the lead after just 3 minutes.

Both defences were struggling to clear their lines as Danny Higginbotham vollied over before Killock's clearance could only find Louis Almond who's effort was well saved by Danby, who saw it late.

Chester 'keeper, John Danby, made a big double save as first Scott Spencer, then Reece Gray headed goalwards, fortunately for the Blues both headers were straight at the Chester 'keeper.

Loanee centre back Ross Killock was caught in possession by Scott Spencer, who found himself one on one with Danby but fortunately for the Blues put it wide of the post after lifting the ball over the Blues goalkeeper.

With four minutes to go until the break the Blues were back level. Craig Mahon's superb ball in was headed past Vigouroux by Craig Lindfield to give Chester a huge boost going into the second half.

The Blues nearly took the lead into the break as a brilliant ball from Jason Jarrett found Lewis Turner, he played in Chris Lester who found Lindfield but his effort was blocked well by the Hyde defence to ensure the sides went into the break level.

Two minutes into the second half and Chester had the lead. A ball through to Craig Mahon found him on the edge of the penalty area and he lifted it over the encoming Vigouroux and into the back of the net.

Fantastic work from Chris Lester picked out Craig Lindfield but his effort was blocked as far a Lewis Turner who struck it beautifully and it was just wide of the target.

The game continued in a lively end to end affair, Jason Jarrett firing an effort low but Vigouroux was able to keep it out.

With five minutes to go Hyde won a free kick on the edge of the area but Danby again was on hand to push it away.

Chris Lester had a chance to seal the victory but Lawrence Vigouroux was able to save well but in the end the Blues were able to hold on for a big three points.

Chester: Danby, Jarrett, Lindfield, L Turner, McIntyre, N Turner, Higginbotham (c), Mahon, Killock, Wilkinson (Seddon 73), Lester (Kay 90)
Subs: Kay, Heath, Linwood, Reed

Hyde: Vigouroux, Brizell, Griffin, Belezika, Ashworth, Tomsett, Mainwaring (Poole 58), Brown (c), Spencer (Hughes 75), Almond, Gray (Collins 85)
Subs: Haining, Collins, Thurston

Goal Scorers: Hyde: Almond (3). Chester: Lindfield (41)
Man of the Match: Craig Mahon
Bookings: Hyde: Griffin. Chester: Jarrett, Wilkinson, N Turner.

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth
Assistant Referees: Kevin Sarsfield, Martin Woods
4th Official: Matthew Pope

Attendance : 1,232

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?