Skip to main content


13:52 19th April 2014

Chester 0 Wrexham 0

The cross-border derby between Chester and Wrexham resulted in a draw as neither side could find the quality required to break down the opposition and chances were at a premium.

Steve Burr made four changes to the side that faced Grimsby the previous weekend, with experienced centre halves George Horan and Paul Linwood coming back into the side for the suspended Michael Kay and Luke Ashworth as well as Gareth Seddon and Danny Carlton replacing Craig Mahon and Craig Hobson, who dropped to the bench.

With an electric atmosphere from before kick off it was the Blues who created the first chance in a scrappy opening. Lewis Turner beat his man down the right hand side before cutting in and firing an effort over the bar.

After Joe Anyinsah's challenge on Kevin McIntyre that earned him a yellow card it was the visitors turn to press and when Andy Bishop played the ball down to captain Dean Keates; Aaron Chapman was grateful that the effort was close to him.

Former Chester City defender Neil Ashton came closest to breaking the deadlock early on as his effort from the left side stung the fingers of Aaron Chapman, who gathered at the second attempt.

Chester thought they should have had a penalty as John Rooney's low corner was met by Gareth Seddon who fired goalwards first time only for it to be deflected off a combination of two Wrexham defenders.

As both teams began to settle it was Chester who went closest to taking the lead, John Rooney did well to turn his man and fired only for it to be deflected over, with half of the Chester fans thinking it had nestled in the back of the net.

The Dragons went close as Andy Bishop met Dean Keates' corner but he couldn't get his header goalwards with Aaron Chapman caught in no mans land.

Both sides continued to struggle to show their best football in the first half with neither really creating a clear cut chance at the break.

Chester started the second half the better of the two sides and nearly took the lead as John Rooney's powerful 30 yard free kick caused problems for Mayebi, who could only parry to Lewis Turner who just couldn't get his follow up effort on target.

George Horan's return was unfortunately short-lived for the Blues as he was forced off just after an hour after picking up a leg injury.

The atmosphere began to build again as Andy Griffin and Neil Ashton both went for a 50-50 challenge and it was the visitors, boosted by the substitution of Bradley Reid, that went close. Theo Bailey-Jones met a Jonny Hunt cross but the winger but couldn't keep his header down.

The arrival of Craig Mahon got the home fans even more fired up though and as he ran at Mark Carrington the Wrexham full back backed off, Mahon found John Rooney who forced Cameroon international, Joslain Mayebi, into a good save low to his right.

As the last 10 minutes approached Chester fans were left with their hearts in mouths as Aaron Chapman's clearance was hit straight to Dean Keates and the Wrexham captain fired an immediate effort back but couldn't find the target.

Wrexham pushed in search of a winner and nearly found one as Neil Ashton's free kick's broke to Joe Clarke who saw his shot deflected off winger Bailey-Jones and into the arms of Aaron Chapman.

Chester pressed but couldn't create any chances and Wrexham countered well and Jonny Hunt nearly found a way through the home defence as he crossed in to the middle, one Wrexham player left the ball before Chester were able to clear.

Chester: Chapman, Griffin, Horan (Ashworth 62), Linwood, McIntyre; L Turner (Menagh 88), Jarrett, Bond (Mahon 71), Rooney; Seddon (c), Carlton
Subs: Danby, Hobson, Menagh

Wrexham: Mayebi, Ashton, Livesey, Clarke, Bishop, Keates, Hunt, Bailey-Jones, Anyinsah (Reid 62), Artell, Carrington
Subs: Wright, Williams, Tomassen, Evans

Goal Scorers:
Booked: Chester: L Turner, Griffin, Carlton. Wrexham: Anyinsah, Reid
Sent Off:
Man of the Match: Chester: Andy Griffin. Wrexham: Theo Bailey-Jones.
Attendance: 4,326

Referee: Darren Handley
Assistant Referee: Matthew Corlett, Richard Wild
4th Official: David McNamara

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?