Skip to main content


17:00 12th April 2014

Aaron Chapman saves penalty at Grimsby

Grimsby Town 2 - 1 Chester

After a poor performancein the first half Chester FC came close to taking a point away from a tricky visit to Blundell Park. Goals from Oumare Tounkara and Andy Cook fired the hosts to a 2-0 lead before James Caton pulled one back for the Blues late on.

Steve Burr made two changes for his sides trip to Grimsby. Experienced full back Andy Griffin can in as well as Hyde central defender Luke Ashworth replacing Gareth Seddon and Matty Brown.

In a fairly even opening exchange it was Grimsby who looked the more likely to make anything happen, with Scott Kerr finding space on the edge of the area but couldn't keep his effort down.

The Mariners took the lead after 15 minutes as Chester failed to deal with Scott Neilson's run, Aaron Chapman parried the effort away but Alex Rodman pulled back for Tounkara to slot home low to the Chester stoppers left.

Chester nearly equalised straight away as John Rooney's shot was deflected to Craig Hobson who fired past James McKeown only to see the linesman's flag raised.

Things nearly went from bad to worse for the Blues as late inclusion Oumare Tounkara appeared to make the most of a Jason Jarrett challenge and the referee pointed to the spot. Scott Neilson stepped up but his penalty was poor and Aaron Chapman pushed the ball away, diving to his right.

Chester ended the half far brighter as they fired numerous crosses and free kicks into the Grimsby area but the final ball was lacking, with Grimsby able to clear the ball away.

John Rooney nearly created himself an opening as he twisted and turned on the edge of the area before firing an effort low and hitting Jason Jarrett's heels and the midfielder saw a follow-up effort blocked as the half time whistle went.

The second half followed suit with the first, Chester struggling to create chances and Grimsby pressing and testing the Blues defence without getting any clear cut opportunities.

Debutant James Caton's first action in a Chester shirt saw him cut in from the right and fire an effort over the bar.

Oumare Tounkara, the main threat for the home side, despite being called into the side late on after Lenell John-Lewis was ruled out, had a chance to double the hosts lead as he cut inside on the left side but could only fire a tame effort straight at Aaron Chapman.

Connor Jennings had another opportunity to put the game beyond the Blues but he could only head straight at Aaron Chapman from four yards out when he connected.

Chester nearly found a fortunate equaliser as Craig Mahon's cross was deflected back to Scott McKeown by Shaun Pearson but the Mariners stopper did well to gather the ball.

As the game went on Chester looked as if they believed they could get something out of the game and when John Rooney won the ball on the edge of the area from Scott Kerr he looked up and fired a curling effort low to McKeown's left, that was pushed out to Gareth Seddon who couldn't keep his effort down.

The hosts doubled their lead with six minutes remaining as Chester failed to deal with Andi Thanoj, the winger left Luke Ashworth on the floor as he skipped past his challenge and raced along the byline before pulling back to Andy Cook who fired home.

Gareth Seddon attempted to pull one back for the Blues as he controlled a long free kick but couldn't keep his effort down on the turn.

The Blues did manage to get some reward for their efforts as James Caton's cross went in off the post in the 92nd minute but it wasn't enough to stop them from falling to defeat.

Chester: Chapman, Griffin, Kay, Ashworth, McIntyre, L Turner (Caton 45), Bond (Seddon 65), Jarrett, Rooney, Mahon, Hobson (Carlton 55)
Subs: Danby, Linwood

Grimsby: McKeown, Hatton, Kerr, Pearson, Disley, Neilson, Tounkara (Cook 70), Rodman (Winfarrah 87), McLaughlin, Jennings (Thanoj 80), Boyce
Subs: McDonald, Hannah

Goal Scorers: Grimsby: Tounkara (15), Cook (84). Chester: Caton (90)
Bookings: Chester: Hobson, Kay, Jarrett. Grimsby: Cook.
Man of the Match: Grimsby: Scott Neilson. Chester: John Rooney
Attendance: 4,171 (239 from Chester)

Referee: R Wigglesworth
Assistant Referee: D Hulme, L Watson
4th Official: G Mellor

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?