Skip to main content


16:57 12th October 2013

Chester 0 Cambridge United 0

Chester FC continued their strong recent performances as they frustrated league leaders and held them to a nil-nil draw. The visitors were restricted to few chances, with loanee Kwesi Appiah missing a first half penalty the pick of them.

Chester maintained the same starting eleven from Tuesday night after becoming the first team to win at Alfreton this season, though Danny Higginbotham returned to the bench.

The Blues started brightly though, stifling the lead leagues attack, despite being able to create many chances of their own.

Alex Titchiner continued his good form as he cut inside onto his left foot before shooting straight at Chris Maxwell in the Cambridge goal.

The league leaders quality began to show though as Chester began to play into their hands, playing long high balls towards the defence.

Kwesi Appiah, on loan from Premiership side Crystal Palace, broke the offside trap and got in behind the Chester defence but Paul Linwood did well to track back and put in a stunning challenge to win the ball back.

Cambridge had the more clear cut chances but Chester made them battle and work for everything but it was Appiah that was involved in most of the visitors chances.

Luke Berry played a lovely ball in to Kwesi Appiah, inside the Chester area, but John Danby was on hand to produce a fine save to keep the scores level.

With five minutes until half time Cambridge were handed a big chance, George Horan brought down Harrison Dunk inside the area and pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Kwesi Appiah and put his penalty well wide, much to the relief of the majority of the 2,500 inside the stadium.

On the stroke of half time Cambridge looked to have got through one on one as Kwesi Appiah picked out Tom Elliott but George Horan got back superbly to stop the big striker from getting a shot off.

Cambridge started the second half brightly as Chester started to sit deeper in their half, inviting pressure, though the visitors struggled to create actual chances.

Neil Young changed things round to try and gain a foothold by bringing on Nathan Turner and Danny Higginbotham and it worked, as Cambridge threw the kitchen sink at it, making all their substitutions within six minutes.

Nathan Arnold nearly got the breakthrough for the visitors as he caught Chester on the counter atttack but his powerful effort was wide of John Danby's goal.

Substitute Gareth Seddon did brilliantly twisting and turning past one man, before nutmegging a second then hitting the ball too deep across the face of the penalty area.

With time running out Chester had two good chances, first from Lee Pugh's throw, which was cleared to the edge of the area and Nathan Turner's effort was blocked, moments later the ball came to Gareth Seddon just inside the Cambridge area but his shot was also blocked as he tried to pick out the far corner.

Chester: Danby; Kay, Horan (c) (Higginbotham 54), Linwood;L Turner, Harrison, McIntrye,Pugh ; Lindfield (N Turner 59); Reed, Titchiner (Seddon 72)
Subs: Heath, McDonald, Seddon

Cambridge: Maxwell, Taylor, Coulson, Miller (c), Champion, Elliott (Cunnington 60), Dunk, Tait, Hughes (Arnold 66), Berry, Appiah (Sam-Yorke 66)
Subs: Bonner, Norris

Bookings: Chester: Reed, L Turner
Man of the Match: Michael Kay
Attendance: 2,530 (331 away)
Referee: Mr Anthony Backhouse
Assistant Referees: Mr Barry Lamb, Mr David McNamara
4th Official: Mr Thomas Harty

Match Report by Chris Graham

Match Photos by Rick Matthews


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?