Skip to main content


21:41 8th October 2013

Alfreton Town 0 Chester 1

Chester FC performed brilliantly to secure a one-nil victory away at Alfreton. Jamie Reed headed home a Lewis Turner as the Blues became the first team to win at Alfreton this season.

Chester made one change, with Danny Higginbotham missing out after showing signs of a concussion, club captain George Horan came in for him.

The Blues almost got off to the worst possible start after conceding a corner which John McGrath took, forcing Danby into a smart save.

Moments later Wishart broke free and put a dangerous ball into the middle that was turned away by Lee Pugh.

Chester started to get more of a foothold in the game and looked dangerous with Lee Pugh's long throws causing problems.

George Horan was fortunate after bringing down Job Ayo Akinde just outside the Chester area but John McGrath's free kick was well over.

Craig Lindfield was unlucky as his shot from a Lewis Turner cross was deflected behind for a corner.

The Reds continued to look the stronger of the two sides though, while Chester were nervous on the ball but it was the Blues that broke the deadlock in the 34th minute.

Lewis Turner went to the byline before crossing invitingly for Jamie Reed to head home passed Ross Atkins for his first goal for the club.

The goal settled the away side a bit and Alex Titchiner's excellent solo run nearly resulted in a shot on goal before a good tackle by Lathaniel Rowe-Turner.

Alfreton pressed as the half drew to a close with Job Akinde turning and shooting from the edge of the area before Bradley shot from the edge of the area forcing Danby into a save, and pushing Akinde's follow up effort away.

The second half was far quieter, with chances at a premium. Jamie Reed nearly turned provider as his ball into the middle was almost met by Craig Lindfield but just ahead of the Blues striker.

With chances at a premium Chester won plenty of corners and despite good deliveries in they couldn't take advantage of it as Alfreton's defence held firm.

Alfreton pressed as time was running out and Chester's defence began to sink further and further back, but the Blues were able to hold out for a massive three points.

Chester: Danby, Kay, Horan (c), Linwood, Harrison, Reed (Seddon 89), Lindfield (N Turner 90), L Turner, McIntyre, Pugh (Heath 86), Titchiner
Subs: Mills, N Turner, Atkinson

Alfreton: Atkins, Wood, Franklin, Wylde (Kempson 83), Shaw, Bradley, Meadows (Law 70), Wishart (S Akinde 55), McGrath (c), J Akinde, Rowe-Turner
Subs: Andrews

Goal Scorers: Chester: Reed (34)
Bookings: Chester: Harrison, Linwood, Danby. Alfreton: Wood, S Akinde.
Man of the match: Michael Kay
Referee: Mr Adrian Holmes
Assistant Referee: Mr Ian Smedley, Ms Lisa Rashid
4th Official: Mr Mark Hutchinson

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?