Skip to main content


17:53 15th March 2014

Chester FC 0 Alfreton 1

Chester suffered their second consecutive defeat in a week, thanks to Shaun Harrad’s penalty at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

Steve Burr made one change from the defeat at Aldershot, with Matty Brown returning to the starting lineup, with Craig Lindfield dropping out. The change also meant that Ross Killock moved to right back, and Lewis Turner shifted to the right side of midfield.

It was the Blues who probably started the brighter on a glorious afternoon in Chester, and after good work by Nathan and Lewis Turner; John Rooney had the games’ first chance – but his right-footed effort was saved by former Chester City keeper, Jon Worsnop.

Chester continued to enjoy the opening, before Ross Killock appeared to pull a hamstring in making a clearance, and it became apparent that he would not be able to continue. After a tactical reshuffle, Steve Burr replaced him with Friday’s signing, Craig Hobson, shifting Lewis Turner back to full back.

After 25 minutes, the Blues had their best chance of the game when Matty Brown’s header from a Rooney corner was blocked on the line by an Alfreton defender.

The visitors came back into the game as the half reached it’s conclusion, with Akinde proving a handful, and testing Chapman on a couple of occasions before an innocuous challenge by Alfreton’s Michael Whylde on John Rooney resulted in a serious injury to the reds’ defender .

Into the second half, and it began as the first half ended with Chapman again saving from Akinde, before the blues seemed to settle into the half. However it was from the 64th minute when the game changed.

First, John Akinde missed a glorious chance for the visitors as he fired high, wide and handsome from a matter of yards with an open goal to the laughter of the home faithful.  

Fittingly, it was seconds later that the game was decided when the visitors were given a controversial penalty won by Akinde. The Alfreton striker was deemed to have been fouled by on-loan goalkeeper Aaron Chapman from a Daniel Bradley cross, and Shaun Harrad stepped up from 12 yards to send the Blues shot-stopper the wrong way.

Chester huffed and puffed to get back into the game with Jamie Menagh and Brendon Daniels coming on, but with no real attempt on goal, the Blues ran out of time to get the much needed equaliser which leaves them 20th in the Skrill premier table, two points clear of Aldershot.


Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?