Skip to main content


17:48 28th September 2013

FC Halifax Town 2 Chester FC 1

Chester FC battled hard but were unable to get anything from a tough visit to The Shay stadium. Set pieces were the Blues undoing again, as first Lee Gregory, then Marc Roberts capitalised, with Gareth Seddon's goal separating the two sides also coming from a set piece.

Neil Young continued to tinker with his team, bringing back Craig Lindfield as well as Joe Heath coming in for the suspended Kevin McIntyre but it didn't change his teams early fortunes as they conceded inside the first five minutes for the second game in a row.

Adam Smith's corner was headed down into the path of Lee Gregory who backheeled the ball past John Danby on a crowded Chester goalline.

Chester attempted to reply straight away but Alex Titchiner saw his effort well blocked.

Titchiner started well and after disposessing McManus he picked out Gareth Seddon, one on one with Glennon but the former Blues 'keeper denied the former Halifax striker, tipping it over the bar.

Although the home side continued to attack they struggled to muster up any serious efforts on Danby's goal, Josh Wilsons low free kick straight at the Blues keeper was the best of the lot.

Much like the first goal, the equaliser came the same way, a deep corner, headed goalwards by Higginbotham before being flicked in by Gareth Seddon.

Glennon was having a fine game and made a stunning double save from Craig Lindfield, first denying his header before getting up to meet him from the rebound.

In a lively first half Lee Gregory nearly restored the hosts lead as he found space in behind the Blues defence but Joe Heath was on hand to make a stunning tackle as Gregory was set to pull the trigger, ensuring the half ended even.

After a quiet start to the second half it was the Shaymen that took the initiative as Lee Gregory's effort forced John Danby into a fine save, tipping it over the bar but from the resulting corner Marc Roberts met Adam Smith's ball in and headed powerfully past Danby.

In a half of few chances it looked to be a killer blow, though Chester still worked hard to get back in the game. Alex Titchiner picked out Lewis Turner who shot just over the bar in Chester's only real attempt at getting level.

Chester: Danby, Kay, Heath, Horan (c) (Linwood), Harrison, Lindfield (Mahon), L Turner, N Turner, Higginbotham, Seddon (Mills), Titchiner
Subs: Jarrett, Chippendale

Halifax: Glennon, Toulson, McManus, Gardner (Carver), Ainge, Maynard (McReady), Roberts, Smith, Pearson, Gregory (c), Wilson (Marshall)
Subs: Senior, Lowe

Goal Scorers: Halifax: Gregory, Roberts. Chester: Seddon.
Bookings: Chester: Heath, Horan, Linwood, N Turner. Halifax: Toulson, Pearson
Man of the Match: Titchiner
Attendance: 1,805 (454 Chester)
Referee: Mr Peter Bankes
Assistant Referees: Mr Chris Ward, Mr Stuart Richardson
4th Official: Ms Helen Byrne

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?