Skip to main content


16:59 22nd February 2014

Matty Taylor celebrates equalizer at Lincoln

Lincoln 1 Chester 1

Chester battled to a hard fought 1-1 draw at Sincil Bank against Lincoln City. The hosts took the lead in a poor first half through Delano Sam-Yorke before Matty Taylor equalized for Chester. With the game finely poised Imps skipper Alan Power missed a penalty before Nick Townsend tipped a John Rooney shot onto the post in the dying moments.

Steve Burr named an unchanged side to the one that started the victory against FC Halifax Town, live on BT Sport, meaning that Aaron Chapman had successfully recovered from a finger injury he picked up.

In a fairly quiet start both enjoyed spells of possession without looking too dangerous, John Rooney saw a first minute effort headed behind for a corner while Ben Tomlinson failed to connect with a header when he'd found space in the Chester area.

It was the hosts who opened the scoring though after a mix up at the back for Chester. A long throw saw Chapman hesitate before trying to gather the ball off the head of Joe Heath and it saw the ball fall to Delano Sam-Yorke, unmarked at the back post to tap home from three yards out.

Todd Jordan went close with an effort for the Imps, shooting from the edge of the area but Aaron Chapman watched it roll wide of his post.

Chester came close to equalizing after Lewis Turner's threatening ball in was just inches away from Craig Mahon's head and was put out for a corner kick that came to nothing.

Lewis Turner then forced home 'keeper Nick Townsend into a good save after cutting in from the right hand side and shooting on his left foot.

It was Jordan again who nearly doubled the lead, instinctively sticking a foot out to deflect a clearance just wide of the Chester goal, with Chapman beaten.

Delano Sam-Yorke had a great chance to double the lead on the stroke of half time as he got in behind the Chester defence but Ross Killock got back to do just enough to put the Lincoln striker off.

With seven minutes gone in the second half Chester levelled, much to the delight of the vocal following, Ross Killock's good work at the back allowed Matty Taylor space down the left wing and after turning Thierry Audel inside out he coolly slotted under Townsend.

A couple of minutes later and Chester could have been ahead, John Rooney's free kick to the back post was met by Matty Mainwaring but the makeshift left back couldn't keep his header down.

On the stroke of the hour the hosts won a penalty, Tom Miller's long throw saw Matthew Brown handle when going up for a header and the referee point to the spot. Imps captain Alan Power stepped up but Aaron Chapman dived low to his right to push the effort away.

Chester captain Gareth Seddon nearly gave the Blues the lead as he found some space down the right and shot first time on an angle but Nick Townsend saved well at his near post.

The Blues went close again as John Rooney's corner was met by Ross Killock but the centre backs header was cleared off the line by a combination of Imps defender and goalkeeper.

Substitute Jamie Menagh nearly provided the hero again as his powerful effort was pushed away by Nick Townsend but Matty Taylor couldn't control the rebound, which came to him at an awkward height with little time to react.

It was all Chester going into the last 10 minutes but the visitors very nearly regained the lead, Delano Sam-Yorke beating his man before scuffing an effort to Chapman.

With two minutes remaining on the clock Chester thought they had won it, John Rooney found some space on the edge of the Lincoln penalty area and shot low but Nick Townsend was able to tip it onto the inside of the post, with the ball rebounding straight into his arms.

In injury time a Tom Miller long throw nearly got the hosts three points as Chapman was caught out of position and Nat Brown couldn't keep his effort down.

Chester Team: Chapman, L Turner, Killock, Brown, Heath (Mainwaring 20), Rooney, Jarrett, Bond, Mahon (Menagh 68), Seddon (c), Taylor
Subs: Kay, Lindfield, Danby

Lincoln: Townsend, Miller, Brown, Audel, Newton, Jordan, Adams, Power (c), Sheridan (Robinson 63), Tomlinson, Sam-Yorke
Subs: Rowe, Gray, Nolan, Preece

Goal Scorers: Lincoln: Sam-Yorke (16). Chester: Taylor (52)
Bookings: Chester: Heath, Taylor, Brown.
Attendance: 2,354 (253 from Chester)
Man of the match: Matt Taylor

Referee: Colin Lymer
Assistant Referees: Tom Harty, Neil Pratt
4th Official: Joe Simpson

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?