Skip to main content


21:30 17th September 2013

Chester 2 Macclesfield 1

Chester secured their first home win of the season in an important Cheshire derby. The Blues took the lead as Aiden Chippendale's free kick drifted past everyone and into the back of the net. Gareth Seddon capitalised on a mistake by Efe Sodje to double the lead before Daniel Whitaker got one back on the stroke of half time but Chester were able to hold on, despite a penalty miss by Ben Mills.

Neil Young made several changes, including bringing back George Horan and Gareth Seddon, as he looked to find a winning combination and it lead to a lively start.

In the first couple of minutes a failed clearance from captain Horan lead to Chris Holroyd finding space but after scuffing his initial effort his second attempt was straight at Danby.

Chester looked the more threatening side though and were causing plenty of problems with Lee Pugh's long throw, which saw Higginbotham and Horan both have efforts blocked.

It was the Blues who broke the deadlock in the ninteenth minute, Bury loanee, Aiden Chippendale's free kick on the right hand side was curled towards Gareth Seddon but beat everybody and nestled high into the roof of the net.

Gareth Seddon was making the most of his start and unleashed a fierce effort from 30 yards that took a deflection to go over the bar.

And it was Seddon who got Chester's second, capitalising on an Efe Sodje mistake as the ball skipped off his head and allowed the Chester forward get in behind and beat Rhys Taylor too it, coolly lifting the ball over the oncoming 'keeper.

It was a similar issue for the Blues though as they let Macclesfield back in on the stroke of half time, a mix up between Horan and McIntyre lead to the ball falling nicely for Daniel Whitaker who placed it into the corner, past Danby.

Macclesfield were well on top to start the second half and Daniel Andrew nearly drew the Silkmen level with a thunderous effort rebounding off the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

Chester had a golden opportunity to restore their two goal cushion as Danny Higginbotham was brought down inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Ben Mills stepped up, against his old club, but saw his effort - hit high to the keeper's left - saved by Rhys Taylor, who did well to reach it.

Chances were really at a premium in the second half as Macclesfield enjoyed more of the play but Chester always found a defender there.

John Danby was called into action with five minutes remaining as substitute Peter Winn's effort stung his gloves, but the Chester 'keeper was quickly up to gather the follow up effort.

With time running out Joseph Connor fired in another effort but this time man of the match Danny Higginbotham turned the ball over the bar.

In injury time Chris Holroyd missed a good chance to level the scores as he drifted in at the back post but couldn't force an effort goalwards.

Chester: Danby; Kay, Horan, Higginbotham, Pugh (Heath 85); Chippendale (Harrison 66), N Turner, L Turner, McIntyre; Mills, Seddon (Titchiner 66)
Mahon, Linwood

Taylor, Connor, Andrew, Martin, Mackreth (Kissock 67), Holroyd, Sodje, Boden, Whitaker, Rowe (Winn 76), Halls.
Turnbull, Branigan, Williams.

Goal Scorers: Chester: Chippendale (19), Seddon (30). Macclesfield: Whitaker (44).
Man of the match: Chester: Danny Higginbotham. Macclesfield: Danny Whitaker
Attendance: 2,012
Bookings: Chester: Michael Kay, Aiden Chippendale. Macclesfield: Joseph Connor
Referee: Mr Darren Handley
Assistant Referees: Mr Mark Ackerman, Mr Craig Taylor
4th Official: Mr Mark Powell

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?