Skip to main content


16:55 14th September 2013

Salisbury 3 Chester FC 1

The Blues went down to a 3-1 defeat at Salisbury City today after seeing the hosts rally from being a goal down to strike back with three of their own. The game also saw both sides reduced to 10 men with new boy Shaq McDonald being sent off for violent conduct.

Neil Young brought in Joe Heath for a rare start, with Aidan Chippendale taking a place on the bench, whilst Ben Mills and Alex Titchiner continued their pairing up front.

Chester got off to a great start when Joe Heath, in a rare start for the Blues scored from a header after 14 minutes, when Danny Harrison clipped a ball into the area, which was met by the head of Ben Mills who looped a header to the far post where Heath then got his head to, to send the rravelling fans wild with delight.

Salisbury then levelled the game up just before the half hour mark when a cross from McPhee deflected its way to Dan Fitchett, who then put the ball past John Danby.

Chester had a chance towards half time, but Paul Linwood's goalwards header was turned around the post by Puddy in the Salisbury goal.

Kevin McIntyre was left in a heap following a heavy challenge by Luke Ruddick. It was a 50-50 ball, but McIntyre came off worst and Chester were reduced to ten men whilst the Blues defender received treatment.

HT 0-0

The second half started with both teams looking for the third goal of the game. Ben Mills took a knock at the start of the half and was subsequently replaced by sub Gareth Seddon on 55 minutes.

Both teams exchanged a few corners each, with one of them seeing Luke Ruddick booked for dissent, however shortly after, the home side nearly took the lead but John Danby pulled off a great save as Glenn Wilson's header was goalbound but Danby somehow turned it away for a corner.

Salisbury then took the lead midway through the second half when substitute White raced up to the byline to cross to Elliot Frear who half vollyed into the corner past Danby on 67 minutes.

Gareth Seddon then went close with a curled effort, that Puddy saved well, a flick up over the heads of the defenders gave Seddon the chance to shoot, but on this occasion the keeper saved well.

Salisbury then made the game safe with a goal from a corner. The ball was swung in and Clovis Kamdjo took advantage pof poor marking to make it 3-1.

Then a bizarre ending to the game, when a parachutist ended up stopping the game when he inadvertently landed on the pitch in what has to be a first during open play at a football match!

Following that interruption was a brace of red cards, as first Salisbury were reduced to 10 men after former Reading centre half Angus MacDonald was sent off for grabbing Gareth Seddon around the neck, but then just 3 minutes later, Shaq McDonald - making his debut after coming on as sub, was then given his marching orders after appearing to kick Jamie Clarke in the last minute of injury time.

The referee then brought an end to the match, and with it came a sixth defeat out of 8 games for the Blues, who return to action on Tuesday night when they take on fellow strugglers Macclesfield Town in what already appears to be a big game.

SALISBURY: Puddy, Ruddick (MacDonald 88), Brett, Clarke, Wilson (c), McPhee, Wellard (Sutton 90), Frear, Kamdjo, Sinclair, Fitchett (White 66)

Subs: Wright, Thomson,

Booked: Ruddick.

Sent off: Macdonald 85

Goals: Fitchett 29, Frear 67, Kamdjo 85.

CHESTER: Danby, Higginbotham, Linwood, Kay, L Turner, Heath (Chippendale 72), N Turner, McIntyre, Harrison, Mills (Seddon 55), Titchener (McDonald 67)

Subs: Pugh, Horan

Sent off: McDonald 95

Goals: Heath 14.

Attendance 925


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?