Skip to main content


17:00 7th September 2013

Chester 0 Dartford 0

Chester FC battled hard, and enjoyed long spells of possession but in the end were unable to break the deadlock against a stubborn Dartford defence.

Just the one change for Neil Young's men after last weekends success against rivals Wrexham as Jordan Laidler missed out with an injury, allowing Aidan Chippendale to make his home debut.

After a couple of early corners for the hosts it was Dartford that had the best of the early chances, with Adam Birchall crossing to find Danny Harris who could only head wide.

Alex Titchiner nearly created something out of nothing as he latched on to a ball forward and shot from 20 yards out, forcing Alan Julian into a good save.

It was the Fleetwood loanee again who was causing problems as he received a Kevin McIntyre ball down the left and managed to beat his man, cutting inside the penalty area but Julian was on hand to punch the effort away.

As Dartford sat back, looking happy to play for a point, Chester continued to press and McIntyre picked out Mills in a good position, though his touch let him down.

The visitors looked effective on the counter and when Danny Harrison was caught napping Chester nearly paid the penalty. Ryan Hayes, again cutting in from the wing curled an effort just wide of Danby's post.

It was still the home side that were on top though and it was Titchiner again involved in the chance as his backheel sat up for Nathan Turner who struck his volley straight at Julian.

With two minutes before half time Chester nearly had the lead. Michael Kay's cross, at the second time of asking, picked out Nathan Turner again, but he couldn't get his header on target.

The visiting side started the second half far brighter and Elliot Bradbrook nearly gave them the lead as he curled a shot inches wide.

A long ball forward was headed down by Ben Mills to Lewis Turner who smashed a volley just over the bar.

Dartford were the team creating the clearer chances though and when John Danby couldn't get any distance on a punch out Kenny Clark was on hand to put his foot through an effort that went just over the bar, fortunately for the Blues.

Substitute Jamie Reed nearly found the key to unlocking the Dartford defence with a through ball to Ben Mills, but the striker wasn't able to get on the end of it.

With five minutes remaining Chester thought they had broken the deadlock, Nathan Turner's cross found Jamie Reed and after a scramble in the penalty area a Reed shot found Gareth Seddon who headed in at the far post, only to see the linesmans flag raised.

In the dying seconds Dartford turned the ball in after Danby had saved a shot but suffered the same fate, as the linesman flagged for offside.

Chester: Danby; Kay, Linwood (c), Higginbotham, McIntyre; N Turner, L Turner, Harrison; Titchiner (Lindfield 84), Mills (Seddon 79), Chippendale (Reed 59).
Subs: Horan, Lindfield, Seddon, Pugh.
Dartford: Julian, Clark, Noble, Bradbrook (c), Harris, Hayes (Rogers 88), Collier, Birchall, Fry, Burns, Woodyard.
Subs: Monger, Vint, Prior, Ibermere.

Man of the match: Chester: Titchiner. Dartford: Hayes.
Attendance: 2,587
Referee: Mr Adrian Holmes
Assistant Referees: Mr Barry Lamb, Mr Richard Wild
4th Official: Mr David Croft

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?