Skip to main content


17:00 24th August 2013

Kidderminster Harriers 3 Chester FC 1

Chester FC were unable to get their first points of the season, away to Kidderminster, but put in a spirited performance that resulted in their first goal of the season. Kiddy took the lead midway through the first half as Josh Gowling headed home from a corner, after some slack marking, before Marvin Johnson doubled the hosts lead on the stroke of half time. Chester were able to get one back through a Danny Harrison headed before Joe Lolley sealed the victory in the final seconds.

After making four changes, Neil Young had given playing time to plenty of his squad and was rewarded by a solid start, the Blues certainly not getting overawed by their high flying opponents.

With the more attacking lineup, playing a 4-3-1-2, Chester were able to look more threatening, with Titchiner's pace and loanee from Sunderland, Jordan Laidler, droppimg in a difficult to mark position off the strike pairing.

Seddon had a chance, shooting from the edge of the area but it was blocked. At the other end Josh Gowling saw a header saved well by Danby, albeit before being called offside.

Loanee Alex Titchiner was making the most of his first start, twisting and turning before shooting low, forcing Danny Lewis into a save with his legs before finding himself free after Paul Linwood headed down a Laidler free kick to him but it was brilliantly blocked.

Despite the positives of the start it wasn't to last as Kevin McIntyre left a ball to go out for a corner, believing it was going for a goal kick, from the resulting ball Kyle Storer crossed for Josh Dowling to lose his marker and head home at the near post.

Chester responded well, creating pressure, Kevin McIntyre's corner was met by Michael Kay at the back post but he could only head over.

Another mistake lead to Kidderminster's second goal, a failed clearance lead to Callum Gittings playing a through ball to Marvin Johnson who poked the ball under the oncoming John Danby to double the hosts lead.

The Blues nearly struck back immediately as Seddon and Titchiner got in each other's way, a ball back in from Turner saw Seddon get a second chance but he couldn't get his head to the ball.

Chester were able to get a goal back, and their first of the season, just before the break. Lewis Turner crossed the ball from the right side for Danny Harrison to rise highest and head in off the post to keep the Blues within touching distance at the break.

Anthony Malbon had the first chance of the second half as he cut inside and shot with the outside of his right boot straight at John Danby.

Chester, again backed by a large, vocal support, looked good and pressed hard to find an equaliser, though Kidderminster looked very lively on the counter.

Chances were coming for the visitors though as Jordan Laidler couldn't connect with a shot from 30 yards but set pieces were still an issue, with Cheyenne Dunkley going close after losing Michael Kay from a corner.

Substitute Ben Mills, who came on for Gareth Seddon, was presented with a great chance after a ball over the top picked him out but he snatched at the effort and it was off target.

Kiddy still looked threatening from set pieces, as Joe Lolley flicked on another Storer corner, but Josh Gowling couldn't get on the end of it at the far post.

Joe Lolley nearly sealed it for the hosts as he took advantage of a long ball forward in the dying seconds as Chester threw everything into getting an equaliser, but after doing the hard work blazed over the bar.

Lolley was able to get his goal as Michael Gash played a defence splitting ball to him as Chester were short on numbers at the back, he cut back and shot low past Danby to wrap up the victory.

Chester: Danby, Kay, Linwood (c), Harrison, L Turner, McIntyre, N Turner, A Williams (Chippendale 87), Seddon (Mills 73), Titchiner, Laidler (Reed 80)
Subs: Horan, Pugh

Kidderminster: Lewis, L Vaughan, Demetriou, Storer (c), Dunkley, Fowler (Jackman 77), Gash, Malbon (Dance 61), Johnson (Lolley 61), Gittings, Gowling
Subs: N Vaughan, Byrne

Goal Scorers: Kidderminster: Gowling (32), Johnson (45), Lolley (90). Chester: Harrison (45)
Man of the match: Nathan Turner
Bookings: Chester: Seddon
Attendance: 2,283 (396 Chester)
Referee: Mr R Whitton
Assistant Referees: Mr M Dexter, Mr A Howson

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?