Skip to main content


17:00 17th August 2013

Chester 0 Woking 2

Chester FC were again unable to break their goal and points drought, this time at home to Woking. Despite the visitors playing the majority of the game with ten men after Josh Payne saw red in the first half Chester were unable to make their advantage pay as goals from Gavin Williams and Joe McNerney condemned the Blues to their third straight defeat.

Neil Young made three changes to the side that lost midweek to Hereford with Joe Heath, Jason Jarrett and Paul Linwood coming into the side but that didn't stop Woking creating an early chance.

Jason Jarrett got dispossessed in midfield and Mark Ricketts picked out Freddie Ladapo, on loan from Colchester, racing through  on goal. He tried to chip it over Danby in the Chester goal but he was equal to it.

Despite the game being fairly even it was the visitors creating the chances and Kevin Betsy cut inside and unleashed a ferocious strike that went just wide.

Tempers flaired as the game went on with Ricketts and and Sawyer picking up yellow cards before Josh Payne tangled with Nathan Turner before appearing to lunge towards the Chester man. The linesman spotted it and after the referee conferred with him decided he had no option but to give him his marching orders.

Chester started the second half on the front foot and after Craig Lindfield's corner was headed out Joe Heath played a sublime ball back into the area and Seddon's header rebounded off the post to Paul Linwood who could only turn it over the bar whilst under pressure.

Breaks in play stopped Chester's momentum and Woking took full advantage when Gavin Williams broke the deadlock, twisting and turning inside the Chester area, he was able to pick his spot and shot into the far corner, past Danby.

One became two as John Nutter's free kick was perfectly placed for substitute Joe McNerney to rise and head home from close range.

As the visitors sat back, defending their lead, Chester pressed forwards and two substitutes, Mahon and Titchiner, linked up with the latter heading tamely towards Howe.

Former Vauxhall Motors man, Mahon, did well, picking out Seddon this time who headed down into the ground before Howe pulled off a fine save.

Woking were still threatening up top as McNerney twisted and turned before shooting just wide, Chester had a chance of their own as Harrison met another Mahon cross but could only head straight at the Howe.

Kevin McIntyre nearly got the Blues back into the game as his free kick from the channel looped over Aaron Howe and rattled the crossbar but it was another game that Chester failed to make their man advantage pay on another frustrating afternoon for the Blues.

Chester: Danby; L Turner, Horan, Linwood, Heath (Reed); Jarrett (Mahon), Harrison, N Turner; Lindfield (Titchiner), Seddon, McIntyre
Subs: Pugh, A Williams

Woking: Howe, Newton, Nutter, Ricketts, Johnson, Sawyer (Frith), Parkinson, Williams (McCallum), Betsy, Payne, Ladapo (McNerney)
Subs: McNamee, Beasant

Goal Scorers: Woking: G Williams, McNerney.
Man of the match: Linwood
Attendance: 2,016
Bookings: Woking: Ricketts, Sawyer
Sent Off: Woking: Payne
Referee: Mr Jason Whiteley
Assistant Referee: Mr Joseph Johnson, Mr Matthew Donahue
4th Official: Mr Mark Powell

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?