Skip to main content


16:54 28th December 2013

Chester 1 Gateshead 1

Chester earned a hard fought point against a well organised Gateshead side. The Blues went ahead after 10 minutes as Ross Killock met a John Rooney free kick before James Marwood equalised in the second half.

Neil Young welcomed back five players back to the starting lineup from Thursday's game at Southport. Lewis Turner and Ross Killock both returned from injury whilst Jason Jarrett returned after his one game suspension. Joe Heath and Alex Titchiner also came into the side.

The first chance of the game fell to Jamie Menagh who cut in from the right hand side and beat his man before firing a powerful effort to the bottom corner but Adam Bartlett did well to palm it away.

Chester started brightly with Alex Titchiner and Jamie Reed causing problems for the Heed back four. It was Reed using his experience to win a free kick that was taken by John Rooney lead to the open. Returning Ross Killock rose highest to head past Adam Bartlett.

The chances continued to come for Chester, Jamie Reed stepping over the ball before picking out Jamie Menagh at the back post but he wasn't able to keep his effort down, despite connecting well.

Gateshead struggled to create chances in the opening half an hour and tempers seemed to flare as Marcus Maddison was brought off for Liam Hatch, Maddison going straight down the tunnel.

The pace of Alex Titchiner was causing problems and when Jamie Menagh picked him out it took a good challenge for Gateshead to keep him out.

Returning Lewis Turner was next to go close as Jason Jarrett played him in down the right hand side but his effort was saved low by Adam Bartlett.

The second half started in similar fashion, Chester with the first chance, Alex Titchiner working well but his pass was intercepted and broke to John Rooney who forced Bartlett into another low save.

Liam Hatch nearly got Gateshead back level with their first real effort of the game, George Miller did well for the Blues though to get himself back on the line to head the ball away.

Gateshead took advantage of John Danby's indecision in coming off his line, James Marwood got to the ball after the Chester keeper started to come then went back and finished low into the far corner.

Chester almost immediately restored their lead as Alex Titchiner unleashed a powerful area but Heed captain Ben Clark threw himself in the way of it with George Miller's rebounded effort hitting a Chester player.

Ben Clark had a huge chance for the visitors to take the lead as he rose to meet a free kick, with Danby beaten though he could only head the ball away from goal, much to the relief of the Chester players, fans and management.

George Horan had a chance to get all three points for the Blues but couldn't keep his header down after Titchiner had flicked on a cross but neither side could find a winner.

Chester: Danby, L Turner, Horan (c), Killock, Heath, G Miller, Jarrett, Menagh (McIntyre 76), Rooney, Titchiner, Reed (Peers 73)
Subs: Kay, McIntyre, Mahon, Williams

Gateshead: Bartlett, Chandler (Brown 67), Curtis, Clark (c), Turnbull, Baxter, Walker (Cummins 50), Marwood, Sirrell, Maddison (Hatch 32), Oster
Subs: Magnay, Ramshaw

Goal Scorers: Chester: Killock (10). Gateshead: Marwood (68)
Bookings: Chester: Killock, Heath. Gateshead: Turnbull.
Man of the Match: Chester: John Rooney. Gateshead: James Marwood.
Attendance: 2,017

Referee: Peter Bankes
Assistant Referee: Mark Cunliffe, Chris Isherwood
4th Official: Nicholas Bernard

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?