Skip to main content


16:58 10th August 2013

Barnet 3 Chester 0

Chester's return to the Skrill Conference Premier wasn't the dream many had imagined as Barnet scored three second half goals to earn themselves three points. Goals from Luke Gambin and a brace from Jake Hyde secured the points on the first game at The Hive.

The Blues started extremely brightly with Danny Harrison and Gareth Seddon getting early chances, Harrison's an effort from range whilst Seddon's deflected against him after a Lindfield cross.

Barnet looked most dangerous down the right with Keanu Marsh-Brown causing problems, first his cross to Curtis Weston saw Weston's scissor kick go well over the bar, then his cross was headed away by George Horan to Elliot Johnson whose shot from 25 yards had Danby scrambling but went just wide.

Danger man Marsh-Brown was causing problems again, cutting inside onto his right foot and shooting from the edge of the area, John Danby was on hand to push it away.

As Barnet began to get on top Chester looked more dangerous from set pieces, with a Kevin McIntyre throw being flicked on and Seddon getting a shot on target with George Horan inches away from turning it past Stack.

After seeing out until half time Chester started the second half the worst way possible as Barnet found themselves ahead after just 46 seconds. A ball in from the right to Luke Gambin found him in acres of space, Paul Linwood did his best to get back but couldn't stop Gambin twisting and turning and putting the ball low past Danby.

Play in the second half was pretty even and Chester continued to pressure through set pieces, Kevin McIntyre's low corner bounced up and Paul Linwood met it with a diving header only for Stack to save.

Barnet came forward again and tthis time Jake Hyde was on hand to turn in a Keanu Marsh-Brown cross from the right, beating Danby to the ball and doubling the hosts advantage.

It was Marsh-Brown again who was causing issues, shooting from the edge of the area and Danby pushing it away.

Despite Chester's best efforts to get back into the game it was Barnet's day and Hyde managed to exploit the gap between Horan and Linwood and coolly chipped over Danby and, despite Kay's best efforts to clear the ball off the line, made it three-nil to the hosts.

Chester nearly got a consolation as Mills' cross saw Stack pushed a cross away, Danny Harrison lunged in to get the ball but despite getting it past Stack it was cleared away.

Chester: Danby, Kay, McIntyre, Horan (c), Linwood, Harrison, Reed (Mills), Jarrett (N Turner), Seddon, Lindfield, Mahon (M Williams)
Subs: Fearon, L Turner

Barnet: Stack, Yiadom, Stephens, Saville, Johnson, Casabella, Weston, Bryne, Gambin (Mengerink), Marsh-Brown (Vilhete), Hyde (Crawford)
Subs: Mengerink, Villa, Jupp

Goal Scorers: Barnet: Gambin (46), Hyde (63,73)
Man of the Match: Craig Lindfield
Attendance: 2,543
Bookings: Chester: Horan, Jarrett. Barnet: Weston, Yiadom, Marsh-Brown, Saville.
Referee: Mr N Kinseley
Assistant Referee: Mr J Burridge, Mr E Kinnear
4th Official: Mr A Piggott

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?