Skip to main content


21:34 25th April 2013

Marc Williams puts Chester one up

FC Halifax Town 1 - 1 Chester FC

Chester FC came away with a hard fought point from The Shay against FC Halifax Town. The Blues went ahead early on with Marc Williams scoring after a brilliant Wes Baynes cross before Alex Johnson equalised for the hosts.

Chester took the lead with the first chance of the game. Ashley Williams spreading the ball to the right wing for Wes Baynes' first time cross, with the outside of his right boot, Marc Williams was on hand to turn it in from close range, giving Glennon no chance.

The Blues, looking to get back on track after two consecutive losses for the first time in the league since reforming, went close again as Tony Gray saw his shot blocked before Sarcevic's follow up was cleared away.

Antoni Sarcevic had a golden chance to make it two-nil as Danny Williams forced Matt Glennon into a save on the byline, Williams recovered to pull it back to Sarcevic on the penalty who could only scuff an effort off target.

Chester were punished for their wastefulness as Danny Lowe's free kick was headed home by Alex Johnson, leaving Danby helpless despite a dive.

After making two substitutions at half time The Shaymen started the second half brightly as Gareth Seddon was set away down the left side, he cut it back to the middle where Dom Collins tripped over his own feet but the ball went free.

Captain George Horan had a great chance to make it two-one Chester moments later as Tony Gray's header found Nathan Jarman unmarked, unselfishly he headed square to Horan who headed over from two yards out.

The Blues continued to look for a second and Tony Gray's effort curled just wide, moments later Antoni Sarcevic was brought down by Liam Hogan but the referee waved away the penalty appeal.

Chances were far more difficult to come by as the sides chopped and changed into the second half, Sean Williams saw his effort go well over for the home side.

When called on John Danby was on hand to make a superb save, smother substitute Jason St Juste's effort after a good cross from Gareth Seddon, the Chester stopper was quick off his line to prevent the former Chester man.

Tony Gray nearly provided The Blues with a winner as he cut inside on his right foot before shooting just over the bar.

Man of the match, Marc Williams, had a great opportunity to win it for The Blues as Danny Williams' ball was left by Nathan Jarman. Marc Williams, unmarked in the penalty area, shot straight at Glennon who pushed it out for a corner.

The Blues continued to press and Tony Gray found Nathan Jarman inside the area, his shot was superbly saved by Matt Glennon, pushing it out for a corner. From the corner Dave Hankin nearly connected with what surely would be a winner but it wasn't meant to be and The Blues came out with a battling point.

Chester: Danby, Baynes (Hankin 77), McGinn, Horan (c), Collins, A Williams (Howard 63), M Williams, Sarcevic, Jarman, Gray, D Williams
Subs: Howard, Peers, Hankin, Miller, Fearon

Halifax: Glennon, Bolton (Toulson 45), McManus, Pearson (Jackson 45), Lowe (c), Worsley, S Williams, Glover (St Juste 71), Johnson, Seddon
Subs: Senior, Messer

Goal Scorers: Chester: Marc Williams (6). Halifax: Alex Johnson (38).
Man of the Match: Marc Williams
Attendance: 1,262 (258 from Chester)
Referee: Mr G Hart
Assistant Referee: Mr M Foster, Mr P Yates

Match Report by Chris Graham


Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?