Skip to main content


20:40 28th February 2013

Chester FC 3 Gainsborough Trinity 1

An impressive performance from Chester FC saw them move 19 points clear of second placed Guiseley as they came from a goal down to beat playoff challengers Gainsborough 3-1. Craig Nelthorpe gave the visitors the lead before goals from Tony Gray, Matty McGinn and Nathan Jarman ensured the three points for The Blues.

Trinity shaded the early exchanges and nearly took the lead in the tenth minute as a threatening free kick from Terry Hawkridge found former Chester City player, Darryn Stamp, who's header rebounded off the post.

Wes Baynes was brought down on the edge of the area, Matty McGinn stepped up to take the free kick and forced Jan Budtz to tip it over.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock, with the ball played up to Darryn Stamp, he held it well before laying it off to Craig Nelthorpe who emphatically finished past Danby.

The visitors nearly doubled their lead as Domenic Roma shot from an angle that forced Danby into a smart save.

Chester were gifted an equaliser moments later, Matty McGinn's long shot wasn't dealt with by Jan Budtz and Tony Gray was on hand to tap home and even up the score.

The goal seemed to revitalise Chester and Dave Hankin's cross went across the face of goal, evading everyone whilst only needing just a touch to convert. Antoni Sarcevic then had a bustling run that lead to his left footed strike being saved by Budtz.

Chester's pressure paid off as Antoni Sarcevic broke down the right, he played a ball towards Jarman, who left it, and Matty McGinn ran onto it and struck it low passed Budtz in the Trinity goal to ensure Chester lead at half time.

The Blues won an early free kick in the second half and after McGinn's ball in it deflected to Tony Gray but he could only poke the ball over the crossbar.

In response Trinity won a free kick and Craig Nelthorpe struck it with venom and Danby was worried as it went just over his bar.

Another piece of good fortune went Chester's way as Gainsborough failed to clear a throw in and the ball broke to Nathan Jarman who slotted home from six yards to give The Blues a three-one lead.

Gainsborough nearly got one back within a few minutes as Bradley Barraclough went on a fantastic run before cutting the ball back but Danny Williams was able to get a toe to it to clear it away.

Chester had a chance to put and exclamation mark on the victory after some fine play by Nathan Jarman, his close control brought the ball down and then picked out Tony Gray, he squared it to McGinn with the goal at his mercy but he could only shoot over from 12 yards.

The Blues were able to see out the final few minutes relatively comfortably and ensure the three points.

Chester: Danby, Baynes (Collins), McGinn, Horan, Linwood, Turner, Hankin, Sarcevic, Jarman, Gray (M Williams), D Williams
Subs: Daniels, Trundle, Brown

Gainsborough: Budtz, Roma, Wilde, Waterfall, Hone, Clarke (Connor), Russell, Nelthorpe (Yates), Barraclough, Stamp, Hawkridge
Subs: Young, Stokes, Thompson

Goal Scorers: Chester: Gray (25), McGinn (39), Jarman (55). Gainsborough: Nelthorpe (20).
Man of the match: Chester: Matty McGinn. Gainsborough: Terry Hawkridge.
Attendance: 1,918
Referee: Mr M Salisbury
Assistant Referee: Mr D Underwood, Mr M Bonage

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?